Sonos Beam (Gen 2)

Sonos anounced the new Gen 2 Beam.
Support:
Stereo PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus), Dolby Atmos*, Dolby TrueHD*, Dolby Atmos (True HD), Multichannel PCM, Dolby Multichannel PCM* (*HDMI eARC connection required.) The Sonos app’s Now Playing screen will display what type of audio is being decoded.

1 Like

I use the beam for a kitchen TV. I do not use SONOS as Roon points, just with Pandora.

Here’s a strange thing. At home I have about 12 SONOS speakers, only two are the new portables but only one of those requires that SONOS 2 app, and it cannot be grouped with the other speakers.

At work, ALL five speakers are early models, from years ago. But they demand the SONOS 2 app to operate. Likely, the latter makes sense to others.

1 Like

“Here’s another bit of welcome news: Sonos says it will roll out support for DTS surround later this year for all soundbars that are on its S2 platform. That extends back to products like the Playbar and Playbase, so quite a few devices will be gaining the added functionality. Sonos is also jumping on board with high-resolution audio and Dolby Atmos music streaming. The company says it’ll support both of those features from Amazon Music in the coming months; no word on Apple Music, though.”
https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/14/22671384/sonos-beam-2-atmos-soundbar-announced-price-specs?fbclid=IwAR13c3M75UGU2ONeoPdnZsI4oGwLpA1OAfhPhMFQUA2-mTjv7BksapGa44M

2 Likes

Excellent follow up post, I was about to reply to your first message with I will buy an Arc when it supports DTS, but glad I never committed to that now.
I have a lot of DTS concert’s and movies in my Plex Library so that is great news, but going to wait for it to release before commiting to it.

1 Like