I experience similar symptoms with Roon and Sonos with no resolution.
My system sounds somewhat similar: 100% Ubiquity UniFi gateway, switches, WiFi with multiple Sonos devices. WD gigabit NAS device serving music to Roon. Roon Server on Win10 headless. Sonos devices attached to same switch, but Roon server attached to different switch at the same STP priority level as the Sonos devices. Both Sonos switch and Roon switch uplink to a Core switch.
I’ve experienced NO problems with Sonos app and connectivity in ~7+ years of using the Sonos system, now with UniFi access points throughout the house.
Roon repeatably shows “Roon Lost Control…” of the Sonos device for playback. I went through many iterations of tearing down Sonos connectivity to find a possible solution in case Sonos connectivity is the problem: forcing STP priorities to the Ubiquity switches, going all-hard-ethernet-wired, one-device-hard-wired, using only Sonos CONNECT/BRIDGE, and now back to all on UniFi WiFi with strong signals and without a CONNECT). All with same symptoms.
The symptom appears after several times hitting “play” or “Rewind” or “Fast Forward” to skip through or replay song(s). The particular songs I first discovered this on were 24-bit and 32-bit WAV test audio files from REW (logarithmic sine test sweep) that seem to be “worse” for creating the symptom. But I also see this with ALAC versions of the same files, and also I’ve observed with ALAC CD rips.
Here are other observation, if not clues:
- When playing 24-bit REW test files, sometimes the playback is normal, but sometimes the playback audio is “warbled” meaning instead of a sine sweep, I hear like a dual-tone effect or high and low tones. Perhaps as if the audio packets or waveform is played out-of order? When this symptom happens, I often get the transport lost with repeated rewinds.
- This warbling and “lost transport” does NOT happen when streaming to a Yamaha receiver Airplay device on the same network level.
- I have no Roon DSP effects or EQ enabled, but do have headroom and zone volume adjustment enabled.Yet the “playback performance” bounces all around for each replay. From “1.5X”, 2.4X, sometimes 8X and sometimes nothing is shown…I’d expect that I have plenty of processing speed available. The files have been imported (volume leveling calc by Roon I assume), Roon Server is a dedicated gen 7 Core i5 NUC, gigabit network and ports for the Win10 machine and the WD NAS.
- I don’t believe I get this symptom streaming FLAC from Tidal.
- Also doing the same rewind/skip in Sonos app does NOT cause the symptom.
Could this be an issue of timeouts or not enough buffering between NAS-to-RoonServer-to-Sonos?