Sonos Streaming or Airplay?

@Joshua_Nelson I’m afraid you were given bad info here. With only a few exceptions (like the Sonos Sub for example), any Sonos device can be hardwired to your router to trigger the creation of SonosNet. For many, like myself, my router sits right behind my Playbar, so hardwiring is easy. As @Michael_Harris mentioned, Sonos makes a special product called a Boost for the exact purpose of providing a separate device you can hardwire without having to use one of your speakers.

1 Like

Yes I still have issues ungrouping Sonos rooms in Roon. The wife often shouts when I start playing Heavy Metal in my study late at night and forgot that I had linked across the upstairs in the day (she never believes that I actually ungrouped them) :flushed:

2 Likes

Thanks, @kitated. I may be recounting the wired protocol-advice incorrectly.

Somewhere, in Sonos or Roon, I was having major issues with the Arc sounds being duplicated in the One SLs, they were being “doubled” and I was using SonosNet. The person helping me, cited a Sonos KB item that must have said, for some reason in my case, that wiring the One SL was not the correct protocol, I dumped SonosNet, went back to wifi and all of those problems went away.

I’m probably not recounting the details correctly, but whatever the reasons may be, SonosNet was correctly concluded to not be the way to go for my home theater set up.

In the spirit of being intelligent, I’ll try and find the problem statement and advice at the Sonos community board to clarify this.

EDIT: I found it. It’s linked below, but bundled with several problems I was having. It’s a long thread, but #3 and it’s responses were why I dumped SonosNet.

Then why buy into the Sonos wireless, Premium, price point? :rofl:

By the way, I just got another inane email from Sonos CX or other support, talking about their pride in helping customers. Asking me if I wanted email support for a networking issue I’m having.

@Joshua_Nelson I don’t have time at the moment to read that entire thread, but were you hardwiring one of your surround sound speakers, a One SL, that’s been bonded to your Arc to form a 5.1.2 setup. If so, that won’t work, just like you can’t hardwire a Sub.

The way I see it is if the only way to get your Sonos system to work properly is to use SonosNet, and if you don’t have an existing device that you can easily hardwire to your router, then Sonos has a product you can use to take care of the problem. Does it suck to have to shell out another $99 given how frustrated you are at the fact you can’t get your Sonos gear to “just work”? Of course. Unbelievably so. I’ve helped out in the Sonos forums and the Sonos subreddit for years, and oh boy have I seen some flaming rants in my time.

And then the fools compound the problem by doing something like that! I get it believe me.

1 Like

Totally get it. :point_up_2: I don’t think the above will help with the M1 Mac casting issue to Sonos, will it? That is really the main issue.

Other than surprises with S2 updates, and their support, which is a resource allocation decision and I’m sure they know their support is terrible; everything else works great and despite all the language here, I love the two Sonos systems I have.

No need to read my Dostoevskian novel of a thread at Sonos, most of which I’ve found work arounds for. Glad you understand why I couldn’t wire the One SL.

Thanks, @kitated!

I find Roon > Sonos via Sonos Streaming REALLY unstable and a TOTAL failure when it comes to gapless playback. The audio quality is better but its just TOO unstable to be worth the frustration. I listen to music to enjoy it, not to be frustrated by USELESS technology glitches. Yes Airplay [2] works but its lossy. In their category Sonos speakers are good but their software is GARBAGE.

But AirPlay from Roon to Sonos (with AirPlay) is lossless 16/44.1 :grin:

Unfortunately not… here’s a couple of screenshots based on the same 44.1k 16b Q source data, the first using Airplay, the second using Sonos streaming.

Airplay

Streaming

Roon recognises it as high quality, it is, if 16/44.1 in, then 16/44.1 out