Sortable, dynamic & filtrable Tidal favorite tracks list

Hi,

I would like a way to list my Tidal favorite tracks in Roon, and that list to be:

• Sortable on available columns;
  • Filterable on available columns;
  • Dynamic: if I add a new Tidal fav, it should be updated

The Tidal favorite tracks are available in Tidal → My Tidal Collection → (Scroll to) Favorite Tracks → More. This list is dynamic, but not filtrable nor sortable. So this is not good.

The tracks in My Library → Tracks, include all my Tidal favorites but:

• Also all the tracks of all my favorite albums. It’s a superset of what I want, this is not good.
  • The heart icon allows to show only the Roon favorites, not the Tidal favorites. So not good either.
  • The Focus doesn’t allow to filter only the (Tidal) favorite tracks (so I could bookmark it). Again, not good.

The trick I saw on another post to create a playlist of my favorites directly in Tidal app and access is from Roon is not good either because it’s not dynamic and would need to be recreated every time I add a favorite.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get the list I want? Or is it that this very basic feature is not available?

Many thanks for the help,

-Martin

Hi Martin
I do not know why it is the way it is (metadata implementation?).
I do use tidal favourites with the above quoted workaround. When I favorite a tidal track I also add that to a tidal playlist (using tidal app). I do not understand why you say the need to be recreated… the playlist updates itself in roon. I would like better (and to close the tidal app), hope somebody has a smarter solution.

Use a focus by location to show Tidal only create a book mark of this and this will auto update the bookmark each time you add a new track or album. Roons system doesn’t follow exactly how Tidal works where tracks and albums are separate favourites. Roon is predominantly album based as this is how local collections tend to be built and has inherited this. So you can add single tracks from Tidal but this will also add this to albums as the track is from an album or an ep, same goes the other way add an album it adds all tracks from this to tracks as albums contain tracks and users might want to find just tracks not the whole album. So their is no way in Roon to do what you want and highlight just Tidal favourite tracks as there just isn’t that separation in Roon.

Hi @Traian_Boldea . Thanks for taking the time to share.
I understand what you do and this is what I want to avoid as well. What you describe is maintain two lists in parallel: the (Tidal) favorites AND a Tidal playlist. Doing so requires two operations: adding the track in your library from Roon (or fav it directly in Tidal) AND adding the track in your Tidal playlist (no choice to open Tidal app for that). Juggling two apps and multiple operations is defeating the purpose of Roon in my opinion.
So I don’t count this as a viable solution to this situation.

1 Like

@CrystalGipsy - I get your point but I am hoping someone know a trick to get there… or for Roon team to decide this is a basic feature that needs to be on a devlopmemnt roadmap.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
I doubt this is going to happen, I doubt it is possible from technical pov, but that is beyond my understanding. Also I do not have any local files so I tend to favour streaming integration. But the big fish it is not favourites. The big fish is the playlist. Until ARC there was a point in having roon and tidal in sync (using Tidal mobile app outside of home). I tried to use Soundiz and in weekends to sync roon playlist with tidal. When that worked with no errors I ended up with playlist duplicates (one on tidal one on roon). I stopped using Soundiz, deleted all roon playlists and just keep tidal app open and edit there. Luckily I tend to have an “album” way of thinking so it is that hard to me.
I know that Juggling two apps and multiple operations is a pain but that is because both of us are not 100% into the roon ecosystem and keep on using the “tidal way” (that would be my answer if I was in the dev team)

1 Like

There is no trick it’s just not possible. Roon isn’t Tidal and never will be it’s not supposed to be. If you want separate favourite tracks and albums from streaming stick to Tidal app or use an app that just uses the standard Tidal api window and doesn’t have have an integrated library like Roon. Unless there is a way to pull metadata from the API when grabbing favourites to flag them in some way then things won’t change. None of the other apps try and integrate in the same way and dont bother with integrating tracks at all they just do albums, your tracks is just your own tracks and you have to use the API section for Tidal stuff, never the twain shall meet.

I understand your frustration but not all things are available from APIs and each app has its own vision of how to manage things.

1 Like

I’m still hoping an answer from someone from the Roon team to confirm this is not possible… Or that is on the product roadmap!

It’s not possible as I said and I doubt it’s on any roadmap and if it was Roon don’t comment on such things anyway.

Only way I can think of to achieve what you want is to first create a playlist in Tidal of all your favourite tracks and let this sync to Roon. Then open playlist select all the tracks and then create a Roon tag called favourites and it to all these. Then you would then need to add this tag to every new track that you add via Roon or Tidal after it syncs. You can then create a focus in tracks on Tidal and this tag and sort the way you want them. Bookmark it and then you have your playlist that auto updates but you will have to add this tag manually for all new fav tracks. There is no automated way to this as it stands now.

1 Like

Nice workaround. The only question I have is how I update automatically the tidal app with the roon tagged favourites tracks (if possible).

If you add just a track in Roon it syncs back to Tidal or Qobuz favourite tracks. Roons tags don’t exist outside of Roon.

1 Like

thank you thank you a million times

I totally agree with your point about Playlist syncing between Tidal and Roon, and even made extensive posts here. Roon leaders are not Playlist people. They once posted here asking for Requests on how to make playlists better (realizing it was a blind spot of their) and then did not implment any playlist changes that i am aware of. ARC addresses part of it, but there are other times when I do want or need to use Tidal app, like to have downloaded copies of songs (ARC cannot do this for streaming songs).

1 Like

I have trained myself to add favorites to a playlist (I call it “Current Mixup”), but agree this is a long standing problem.

With some of the work arounds presented, you need to recognize recently added tracks (to tag them or put them on a playlist), one tip to keep in mind is the Tracks listing does have date added (to Roon). I forget now if you favorite a Track in Tidal does it get added to the Track list in Roon? If so the date added would help you see the recent ones.

I also think that in the past I had favorited a Tidal Playlist and all of the songs on the playlist got favorited in Roon if memory serves, but you’d have to test that out.