SoTM SPS-500 Power Supply help required

This is quite a bizarre request for help from any owners of this power supply to ask them to look at the kettle lead plug to see what amp rating the fuse is:grinning:
To explain, recently I had my hifi room redecorated and had to remove all the hifi kit to another room for storage and had removed all the various power leads to do this. When I went to set it all back up again I realised I had two kettle leads, one will be for the SPS-500 and the other one for my CD transport but I’m unsure which is for which. One plug has a 13amp fuse, the other has a 5amp fuse and I’m reluctant to attach the incorrect kettle lead to the SPS-500 due to it being a power supply and the potential damage that could cause. So if anybody could check their plug I would be eternally grateful!!

Thanks so much.

I do run a sPS-500, but (un)fortunately i am in Sweden and we dont fuse our “kettle leads”…
I can however assure you that neither of your devices will blow a fuse under normal circumstance! I wouldn’t worry!
Device protection is always in the device, isn’t it?

1 Like

I have four of them

All on US style unfused plugs

2 Likes

Assuming the SPS-500 is a 500 VA supply, it should really be fused with a 3 Amp fuse. The CD transport also wants a maximum 3 Amp fuse. For mains fuses, I use the lowest rating that doesn’t blow under normal use - as low as 1 Amp for some devices.

1 Like

Thanks for replies. I managed to track down an SPS-500 owner from the UK who told me his kettle lead had a plug with 13 amp fuse.

As there must be fuses inside components to protect them for proper CE compliance, UK style plugs‘ fuses usually only have the function to protect the cable itself from getting overloaded - the plug should sport an imprint regarding its amperage, so insert fuses as indicated …

2 Likes

It’s a quite small switch mode power supply, i think it delivers a max of 3Amps, at up to 19V… so a max of about 60VA.

Still, the device needs to separately fused, right? The kettle leads fuses are to protect the power grid should something happen to the lead itself?

Just make sure that all your fuses are audiophile quality :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Kettle lead fuses are intended to limit the magnitude of any fault current and minimise the risk of fire.

1 Like

I routinely see 10 Amp IEC leads in the UK supplied with 13 Amp fuses fitted. Regardless of cable rating, I always swap out the fuse to a value more appropriate to the appliance load.

1 Like

13 amps @ 220vac ? :open_mouth:

240 V AC here in the UK. Everyone thinks it’s 230 V though because we redefined it as 230 V +6%/-10% to harmonise with Europe a good number of years ago. We didn’t change the voltage though, which has always been a nominal 240 V.

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks!