Sound quality - not as good as other programs?

[quote=“nquery, post:45, topic:22674”]
That’s a second/separate computer/nuc - I don’t need it.[/quote]you do if maximising sq is important to you, and it should ideally be a SOC device. A NUC would be a waste of money in this use case.

after great help from people here (really amazing community, thanks!) I’ve settled on the Yggdrasil for my new DAC.
I will be using RoonServer on a NUC along with HQPlayer.
I read that the Aries works superbly well connected via AES to Yggy (better than microrendu).
So if I did want to use this set-up, is there any possible configuration or device I can add to the mix that can play as NAA?
Or is Microrendu my only option?
Last question: what does microrendu play either as NAA OR RoonReady but not both at the same time? I’m obviously missing something, so please enlighten me :slight_smile:
thanks!

not both at the same time. either - or.
But you can configure also a Raspberry as NAA or RoonReady device.
Plus some other options. There is lots here in the forum.

I don’t think the Aries can be configured as a Roon endpoint, as it doesn’t support RAAT.
I suppose you also aware of that Schiit will never support MQA

yes, they don’t support DSD either…doesn’t change the quality of the DAC I guess :slight_smile:

so if I understand you correctly: on the microrendu you either choose Roonready mode which plays the stream coming from Roon server OR as NAA and in this case it plays the stream coming from HQ Player…is this correct?

Removed because I got it pretty much wrong!

The Aries (but not the Aries Mini) is Roon Ready and certainly does support RAAT. The balanced AES output from the Aries is the best PCM Roon signal I’ve heard.

Auralic have no plans to implement an NAA in the Aries, which is why I sold mine.

Yes.

thanks, this is crystal clear Andy :+1:
what did you replace your Aries with? a microrendu?

1 Like

Yep.

I find PCM sound to be punchy and dynamic with a nice solid mid-bass. The Aries AES output plays to those strengths. I would love to hear it driving an Yggy.

I find USB DSD to be spacious but slightly ethereal, which is where I prefer to listen these days. Upsampling to DSD 512 removes any misplaced sibilance leaving shimmering clear high frequencies. The UltraCaps power supply returned some dynamic smack to the sound and I convolve a room EQ wav in Roon to straighten out my active bass. I’m a happy camper.

and what DAC do you use these days? still your Auralic Vega?

Nope. The Vega is sitting in a box waiting to be sold or until I can persuade Andrea that her stereo needs a few more boxes (this is not an easy task and calls for a deck of Eno’s Oblique Strategies).

I’m using the Holo Audio Spring (level 2) and loving it.

1 Like

thanks and…enjoy!
:relaxed:

1 Like

You may tell the readers which version of that Aries you have. I suspect not the LE version ?

I taught I was joking when I commented on SQ in my privious post.

And people have started to purchase HW, waiting for Rock, believing, I think, they most likely will achive better SQ.

I suppose until Rock propperly tested on different HW and setup, people should considder the SonicTransporter as their best option for Roon core.

The only issue I can think about is how the SonicTransporter will implement Roon Extentions, as I would expect Rock to have that feature implemented.

It was the full version with LPS but is now gracing the system of another Australian Roon user and convert from Sooloos. He is using it to run simultaneous outputs from AES, Coax and Toslink to different systems in his home so it’s earning it’s keep.

People should consider what they want the Core to do and then choose hardware based on that. A SonicTransporter is one option, but there are many others and some people will prefer the flexibility, efficiency and savings of building their own server.

I don’t see why people would think ROCK will improve SQ in a network architecture. Danny, Andrew P and other users have all been very clear about what ROCK is and is not. It’s a lightweight Linux appliance, not the Messiah.

Well strictly speaking, Squeezebox, over 10 years ago. But, yeah.

3 Likes

You do not need a Microrendu nor a Sonictransporter to get great sound out of Roon. Any PC that meets Roon’s suggested specs will more than competently perform the task of hosting Roon Core and any number of SOC devices will make perfectly good Roon Bridge endpoints.

Would a NUC hosting ROCK be able to also act as an endpoint? In other words, if I install ROCK on my new NUC (currently sitting in the closet unopened in anticipation of ROCK launch), can I connect it to my DAC and be able to play music controlled by an iPad?