Sound quality - not as good as other programs?

The best way to kill enthusiasm for a hifi product is to tell people there really isn’t anything special about it or the hardware required to run it. Perfectly good simply isn’t good enough! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Yes.
Ten characters.

Ten characters?

yes! a post has to be at least ten characters :wink:

1 Like

Yep, it insisted on ten characters so I gave it what it wanted!

Besides the Yggdrasil and the Mimby, I have the LOKI Dac from Schiit.
This is a pure DSD DAC. You have (or had) it listed on the HQP Homepage as recom. Player.

On Sonore Products you can activate one mode at a time.
You can use it as either or–or.
You have the choice of several other programs installed on their products.
But you can write your own Linuxcard for Cubox, Raspberry and others to achieve that same goal.
Sonore allows to change between the modes with a mouseclick.
On the others (at a cheaper price) you have to write a card and or implement some Linux code.
There are how to’s here in the forum.
Whatever you feel comfortable with…
I use Sonore Products and others, like Cubox and Raspberry to my full satisfaction.

Has anyone ever actually measured the noise level in the output, in a situation where the playback machine is busy versus idle (apart from decoding and DAC feeding)?
I’d love to see those numbers.

What surprises me is that Roon is taking the supposedly huge effort in writing a new OS just because some people has less powerful HW, or because Windows or some firewalls potentially can make problems.

All this to overcome support issues.

Interesting way of problem solving :grinning:
It will of cause work, if you can convince people to purchase another computer, cause the one you have may at some point in the future get f…up by MS automatic update. (Which can be turned off.)

Even a Qnap HS-251 with 2 GB can run Roon very vell. It shouldn’t, but it does.

Got it. Thanks!

If your DAC is the Yggy, NAA is irrelevant, because the Yggy does its own upsampling and filtering with a proprietary filter that’s one of the main reasons to get that DAC. You could use HQplayer to upsample/filter to the Yggy’s native internal sample rate (384kHz) where it runs NOS, but that would seem a waste, might as well get a NOS R2R DAC instead.

thanks Fernando…like a Holo level 3 you mean?

For example, but there are (many) others, for instance from Metrum.

It’s not a “new OS” - it’s merely a packaging to deliver an appliance. Do you think your washing machine has a '“new OS” developed for it? It also has a packaged OS + an application to give the consumer an appliance. Doubtless some people would prefer to turn their Windows computer into a washing machine, but most people prefer to just buy a washing machine.

1 Like

And as has been mentioned, this can make support’s life much easier when they are assisting roon users with setups that are 100% known by support (from both a hardware and software perspective).

Yes. Or like this (cheaper, and US Seller):

Is that a Yiggy only deal, because HQPlayer sounds heavenly with my BIfrost.

This is a mischaracterization. There’s a huge difference between “writing a new OS” and “packaging up a minimalist Linux distribution”.

I’ve gone into much more detail on some of the motivations behind ROCK here. There is way more to it than support.

In general, if you upsample outside any Schiit multibit DAC to their top sampling rates (176.4kHz and 192kHz for the Bifrost), you are bypassing the DAC’s internal upsampler and closed-form filter. Maybe you prefer what HQPlayer does to the Schiit closed-form filter. Or you are not upsampling in HQPlayer, but you are taking advantage of something else it helps with, hard to know without knowing your configuration.

Hi,
Roon sounds better than Jriber with my DSD ps Audio DAC with the Raat protocol is operating. My DAC is Raat compatible and this is key. Do you use Raat ?