Sound quality of Roon build 537 [retracted claim]

He sent us an email with no additional information. We’ve responded to him and asked him to publicly respond to my points here. He doesn’t seem interested in doing so for what he claims are “obvious” reasons. If he chooses to talk to us, we will make the results public – if we are truly at fault, I personally will let you all know.

We get a handful of these types of claims every time we release… we require compelling evidence before we spend resources investigating. I’m not saying there is anything nefarious going on with Emile or Taiko Audio, but it’s awfully convenient that:

• “Roon got worse”
  • “you need to buy our closed systems for 24,000EUR to even tell the difference, that’s how good they are”
  • “we can’t measure the change, but we know it changed”
  • “we can’t tell you why, but we know that Roon is at fault for this change”
  • “we have a magic fix for this that protects our customers from your badness, and we are the only ones! but we won’t tell you about what we did to fix your software, especially publicly”

The idea that the graphical stuff is at fault (which runs on remotes and affects no aspect of what is going on the Core in the tiniest amount) casts further doubt here. Their server runs a headless RoonServer, right? If not, why not?

Anyway, the fact that I’m responding at all here should show that I’m interested in what Taiko Audio has to say (as well as others who make similar claims in the future), and these posts can act as a guideline on how we spend energy on such claims.

Hopefully he will reply by addressing the elephant in the room: what did he do to fix it and why does it work?

Nothing else, including the list above, matters. Let’s get down to the bottom of this by answering those 2 questions. As you pointed out “only the man himself knows…” I look forward to Emile’s response to those questions.

29 Likes