Sound quality of Roon build 537 [retracted claim]

I guess we are being infiltrated by the minions of AudioPhool Style. Seems like the higher up the hifi chain you go the more disconnected with listening to music you become and listen to the hifi more and become obsessed with noise. Sad thing that.

8 Likes

You’re evidently a very poor judge of character.

14 posts were split to a new topic: All the gear … No Idea

3f2bbc01b8a1c7237d300ec6d39f945e6bc9e7a0_1_690x324

11 Likes

Maybe you can help by providing genuine facts.
In the whole thread I only hear subjective rants and not a single hint to facts.

1 Like

I’d venture that every Extreme music server owner has had a NUC, Nucleus, SGC or similar as their Roon Core before buying an Extreme. And most Extreme buyers auditioned before purchase. Yes, it’s expensive. But in general the best stuff is.

And I’ll bet every one of you bashing the Extreme has never even heard it.

So instead of make snide, negative, price related and unfounded comments about it go listen to it first. Listen to what it does to Roon …and then come back and post founded comments…

6 Likes

Another (probably unpopular) perspective: Bandcamp is offering 100% of revenue to artists on Fridays through July. I spent $100 yesterday, about 1/5th of the cost of my ROCK server (NUC with a ZeroZone LPS). Money very much needed by musicians and labels, esp at this time. I wonder how many with $24K servers spent $4800 on new music yesterday instead of listening over and over for almost imperceptible changes on that one Dire Straits track, thinking perhaps if they go with a $2k power cable instead of the $1k they already have it will be that much better? (and yes, I’m generalizing so don’t get TOO insulted).

I really do think far too often hi-end hifi has totally lost the plot in regards to actual enjoyment of music (and FTR I’m one of those crazy people that hears a difference between ethernet cables and switches on my ‘lowly’ $6K total system).

6 Likes

I don’t need to and can not hear a server. It would be like tasting a pot to judge the quality of a meal.

7 Likes

Your loss…

2 Likes

Listening for the sound quality of a music server is like dancing about architecture.

AJ

7 Likes

It’s a windows server you can’t ‘hear’ it at all. Well except maybe the power on beep!

4 Likes

I don’t doubt it sounds better (I would hope so!) but the question is at what cost? I think to most it seems extreme (pun intended) for the purpose it serves (pun also intended or not). But for those that have everything, and can afford it, I salute you.

1 Like

Don’t feel it. I love to enjoy the meal and not the pot

2 Likes

Anyone who would buy something like the Taiko server must be living on inherited money.

Old money :stuck_out_tongue:

If my main concern, while building a Roon server, was “RF Noise” I would run at lightning speed away from this Taiko Audio box. It’s an RF nightmare. I wouldn’t be surprised if the “BIOS” fix was to turn off one of the CPUs, underclock the other one, and turn off HT.

Adjusting threads, or processes, to be better distributed across cores is unique to a high core count architecture. I don’t see how it is relevant to a Roon Core running on recommended hardware.

I’m going to go underclock my Roon server and reduce the core count to 1 now. Things will load slower but, according to what I’ve put together from this thread, my system should sound as good as a $24,000 server. Although, I could also ask my neighbor to host my Roon Core and use Wifi to reach it. The distance should eliminate any RF within the Core. Thanks for the suggestion.

7 Likes

I absolutely cannot wait for being able to run Core in AWS and Amazon gets flooded with “audiophiles” demanding “low noise” instances. Or the endless debates on which cloud provider sounds better. My bets on Oracle. Us Audiophiles might just save big red. Oh, the headlines that would make.

2 Likes

What makes you think Amazon wouldn’t provide such instances? For a markup, of course.

@Charles_Peterson. I promise you after my 4th Mccallan the band is playing in my family room. LOL.

5 Likes

Sadly, I gave the sauce up a couple of years back, probably forever. But I know the feeling (maybe all too well)!