Sound quality of Roon versus JRIVER

And to the extent anyone complains about the “30 to 60 seconds” of a song (with the usual anti-double blind testing comment that one needs longer time with a song rather than a snippit), then remember that there is nothing about double-blind testing (other than the availability of enough time) that keeps you from using longer test items (entire songs, or entire albums for that matter).

Exactly, I wrote 30-60 merely as an example, based on Adrian’s assessment that he knows the song intimately, so a short sample could suffice. Of course, the actual parameters may vary, while I think the most important point is that there should not be a simple switch between the two sources back and forth (A/B/A/B/A…), as that reduces the test accuracy dramatically. Cheers guys!

One clear area where Roon is lacking in SQ -

After a quick calibration, the SQ improvement to me is astonishing and, well, scientifically backed so no surprise really.

More people should be aware of that, if listening at <75dB.

I need to provide you with an update on my observations wrt Roon / Jriver sound quality.

My planned test did not happen in December. I have continued to compare Room / Ultrarendu vs Jriver / Ultrarendu and there is an absolute difference in the sound quality between these two software players (& netwoking transports). My initial observation that Roon seemed more detailed and truthful vs Jriver seeming more musical actually caused me to reflect on what it was that made me feel that the sound from Jiver was more musical. I believe that familiarity played a part together with a slight prominence in the bass that the Jriver pipeline delivered over Roon.

However after many Months of comparing and also after optimising my PC OS (using ProcessLasso) I am convinced that Roon / RAAT audio quality is superior in every way compared to Jriver / DLNA. I ended up upgrading my mains power supply (AC regenerator) for the network end to ensure the Ultrarendu / LPS1.2 and Chord Hugo 2 / Sbooster LPS had the best environment to operate in - overkill perhaps? .

Apologies for the delay in responding to you all after my initial observations in December. I am a convert to Roon and have no doubt of its ability to deliver audio content - I am enjoying both the interface which allows me to broaden my listening and most importantly the music itself.

Adrian

1 Like

I agree with your observations, even though I don’t use JRiver. It still matches my observations with other method of playbacks. I tried DLNA via Audirvana briefly as well. Roon sounds more accurate to me, even if at first it can sound a bit too dry.

I did spend quite some time tweaking on the network side of things though to make the sound as fluid as possible to my ears.

2 Likes

I’m not impressed with Audirvana via Dlna .
Direct from the computer it is on , it is fantastic and is easily on par with Roon audio quality .

Did you serio Audiophile ptimizer un minimal server mode And Roon as Shell replacement on Windows server 2012 r2 ? Ir Even with Windows 10 pro? The differences between bith oplayer área muchas more audible when you hace ypur PC absolutly optimized forma HighEnd Audio transporte.plse ley me know your setup

[quote="Radu_Popescu, p