Sounds better connect core direct to audio hardware or connect thru a streamer?

Hello, I do have the core on my MAC and wondering if will have a better fidelity connecting it direct to the MIntosh C53 or thru rose 150b ?
Tha is:
Core / Rose 150 / MI C53 / MI 462 / Loudspeakers, or…
Core / MIC53 / MI 462 / Loudspekers (bypassing the Rose)

Is there any quality difference on the above example?

1 Like

Are you going to move your core completely out of the listening space?

Some feel that you can prevent potential electrical issues if you don’t plug a computer directly into a DAC and instead use a network endpoint. Some feel that makes zero difference. Some would argue that adding more into an audio chain is going the wrong way and that the chain should be as short as possible.

I would first ask what the goal of adding the Rose (another piece of equipment) into the audio chain? If the reason you would get the Rose is JUST for the purpose of separating the core and the output, there are less expensive network endpoints to test SQ differences. I’d try those first and if you find there is a difference then audition the Rose.

In the end, the only person who can tell you if there is a SQ difference is you.

2 Likes

The McIntosh gear is supposed to be good stuff – it certainly costs enough – so you should be able to plug it directly into the Mac. I generally feel the simpler the audio chain, the better it works. Basic engineering rule of thumb.

Yes, you could get test equipment and measure the outputs and see if there’s a difference. My guess would be you won’t find one. You paid enough for that McIntosh gear – why not trust the manufacturer?

2 Likes

In full agreement with this :+1:

Hello, I had the McIntosh C2700 preamp (DA2 module) and the first thing I had was the core directly on the preamp (DAC). Personally, however, I wanted galvanic isolation of the devices and control via W-Lan. Then I only connected a bridge to the C2700. I first connected a Prime mini with the Rock operating system and then an Auralic. I liked it better with the breakup (Bridge). Then I wanted to hear the DAC (DA2) crosswise in the McIntosh. First an Auralic Streamer incl. DAC, then tried a Meitner MA3 Streamer incl. DAC. The latter has remained to this day and has convinced me. I only use the internal DAC of the McIntosh C2700 preamp via the television (optical).

I think you have to try and hear it yourself.

Thank you very much! agree with you… (happened had discovered Roon after having the rose !!)

Thank you! and totally agree in the basic engineering rule!!

of course Thorsen will try it myself, anyway your opinion was very helpful and welcome
b rgds
Dan