Soundtracks Anybody?

4 Likes

Longtime Pedro Almodóvar collaborator Alberto Iglesias composed the sad and gentle soundtrack to Talk to Her, the Spanish director’s 2002 meditation on loss and loneliness. Aside from the violin and guitar-accented score, there are five vocal tracks sprinkled throughout, most notably “Cucurrucucú Paloma,” which is performed by Tropicalia legend Caetano Veloso (who also sings it in the movie). Almodóvar has described this rendition, which he first heard live in Brazil while in support of 1995’s The Flower of My Secret, as “stylized, heart-rending, and intimate.” Another highlight is the lovely flamenco-style track “Raquel,” from Cape Verdean string player Bau (Rufino Almeida), who leads the band that has backed Césaria Évora for the a number of years (and is featured prominently in the film’s trailers). The prolific Iglesias, who has won several Goya Awards for his film work, has also composed for all of Basque director Julio Medem’s films, from 1991’s Vacas through 2001’s Sex and Lucia.

RoonShareImage-637236966690449200

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-637237115019307327

1 Like

Agreed - an excellent soundtrack which I’ve enjoyed over the years. I didn’t know some of the music here was re-used by Tarrantino, I’ll have to revisit that album!

Cheers.

1 Like

For sure - I am a fan of those ‘loungy come funky’ albums.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

James Brown & Fred Wesley (Composers)
Black Caesar (1973)

I think this is largely an underappreciated album, mostly due to the strength of some of James Brown’s very best works, coupled with the iconic status of films such as Shaft & Superfly. This has some bona fide classics on here & is one of those albums that has been heavily sampled. Lyn Collins also cameo’s aptly on Mama Feelgood.

Black Caesar

Difficult to know where to start here. So much from Iglesias. Did this one get posted yet?

RoonShareImage-637237807683685745

2 Likes

@tripleCrotchet
Same with this dude :laughing: (although we have some of his works already)…

Ennio Morricone
Le Professional (1981)

LP

3 Likes

Brilliant soundtrack. You’d be surprised where it pops up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVAksnZ4xNo

Found this on Qobuz. Didn’t know about it. Good pace to start with Iglesias.

RoonShareImage-637238361273899074

1 Like

Oh, you’ve given me more to discover Tony. I didn’t know of Alberto prior.

Thanks. :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note:

2 Likes

That’s really something. Couldn’t find it on Qobuz but that led me to Jan Bang and the rest of them on ECM. Great tip.

1 Like

RoonShareImage-637238434554032720

back

Thomas Fehlmann
Gute Luft (2010)

Apparently a 24hr German documentary. I have this because I like his electro-ambient style music. Posted in the electronic music thread:

TF

Ennio Morricone
I Crudeli (1967) (The Cruel Ones aka The Hellbenders)

An excellent Spaghetti Western soundtrack - that largely relies on the main theme in a number of variations, along with another thematic track. I would say that this is more understated than some of his other better known Spaghetti Western’s. However, in this instance, this approach adds to the overall atmosphere. I can also say this particular version sounds great, which unfortunately is not a given!

*Note: Allmusic review cites this as a 1978 soundtrack; it is 1967.

EM

1 Like

Original film score by Stephen Warbeck;
some tracks of Bach’s partita played by Angela Hewitt

Mick Harvey
Waves of ANZACS/The Journey (April 2020)

Appropriately melancholic given the subject matter & beautifully poignant.

Classical music with an augmentation of the modern, Waves Of Anzacs/The Journey is an often-understated work of sadness, fear, trauma and also anger that stands well in any period. Harvey offers a moving testament of assured maturity to his subjects, connecting as he does, two different tragedies, from wartime and a so-called peacetime, on one sublime album. (Dominic Valvona)

Mick Harvey has matured into a remarkably nuanced and evocative composer of music that falls within the boundaries of contemporary classical. 2020’s Waves of Anzac/The Journey collects two suites whose themes are rooted in his native Australia. (allmusic)

Waves of ANZACS

2 Likes

5 Likes

Johnny Greenwood’s soundtrack work is very good. And, I’m certainly not a major Radiohead fan.

2 Likes