Spotify announce lossless streaming

I agree with you @SukieInTheGraveyard. The chances of Spotify ever providing the kind of deep data access Roon needs (API access isn’t good enough) to integrate in the same fashion they do with Tidal/Qobuz is almost 0% – there just is no reason for Spotify to do this – it buys them nothing. And it has nothing to do with Roon not wanting to do it, they would if they had proper access to Spotify’s data (same goes for Amazon’s HD Music).

Given this, if you a Roon user, and you don’t care about synchronized streaming to multiple devices/zones at the same time, if you don’t care about deep, rich metadata that’s linked (to enable connections and discovery), if you don’t care about DSP tech (upsampling, room correction, equalization, etc), and you don’t care about privacy (Spotify uses boatloads of data they gather on you) – then bagging Roon and just using the Spotify App with their (hopefully good) HD catalog will be a fine option for you. Go with it if you’d be happy with it.

It’s really not any more complex than this IMHO.

9 Likes

Frankly, if Roon could let me just access Spotify as an adjunct service within the app, even if not fully integrated, that would allow Roon to continue to solve one of my main needs - the ability of one app to control multiple services over a diverse range of speakers and DACs. In my head I imagine a window within the app that might offer less data integration but keep all I need under one roof.

Not that it’s impossible to just use Spotify Connect, of course. But I’d love control of all my services (even if hobbled to a degree) within Roon.

This may be impossible or just reveals my ignorance of what happens under the Roon hood.

1 Like
1 Like

Could you post a link to some such services? It would really help me.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2 Likes

[Moderated]

i have already read @danny reply on data dumps which you quoted.
Iam only concerned with having more service provider added as a feature and if this demand of having data dumps impedes it ,it’s a reasonable comment from my side to make and request for or suggest changing the integration approach.

of course its upto roon to take it or leave it and i have not seen any categorical denials. [Moderated]?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

i neither know anything about roon internals nor iam as smart as them and iam not reminding them how to do their jobs.and if you carefully read it again,iam not suggesting any specfiic solutions i like roon and iam just shamelessly and humbly asking them if something can be changed to accommodate more services providers. thats all.

And you’ve had a definitive answer. Just to be clear - it’s a no! Just to be even clearer - it’s a no because Spotify cannot be integrated into Roon. Just to be even even clearer - this is due to decisions made by Spotify.

2 Likes

thank you @SukieInTheGraveyard for explaining & being civil and not attributing motives like others.

absolutely agree in the context of spotify. i got that
spotify and amazon are larger players and they would hardly have an intent to integrate with a relatively smaller player like roon.

but what about deezer.may be we can attribute it to the decisions made by deezer as well. :slight_smile:

Yes that’s the point. And with CD quality music, and hopefully no MQA we can piss Tidal off.

Hopefully consumers will reject Tidal and MQA and move to Spotify Lossless.

MQA needs to go, it does nothing for music quality.
Flac in general sounds much better.

3 Likes

MQA is here to stay for the simple reason that “audiophiles” are always looking for the next snake oil that gives them a reason to upgrade, buy more expensive stuff and feel generally superior. IF MQA is adopted by Spotify (which it won’t just for the sake of the argument), there will be immediately a “MQA Pro” to differentiate :slight_smile:

Not that it matters the least, but I am also in the camp of people who think that a simple integration with Spotify Connect is good enough even for the simple reason that I can use Roon as a remote for all my listening, sans vinyl.

6 Likes

Flac generally does sound better .

This just makes me think about “Out of the Blue” and Neil Young wouldn’t like that at all, surely “it’s better to PCM, than to MQA” :wink:

I’ll get my coat…

1 Like

Saying flac sounds better is not the correct argument since mqa is delivered via flac. Flac is a container format not an audio encoding standard.

6 Likes

I am an avid fan of soundiiz.com. It is worth the premium subscription, as well, for creating easy synchronizations and batch transfers.

There are other services, as well if you google around.

Thanks Chris. I’ll try it. Does it work into Qobuz or does it have to go through Roon?

Completely stand alone. Roon is not involved.

BTW - One doesn’t necessarily need an annual/premium subscription; there’s also monthly.

I used it to change from Tidal to Qobuz, i.e. a one time need.

My eight year old daughter would love a pony for Christmas. She won’t be getting one no matter how many times she asks. But she does get semi-private riding lessons every week. So the moral is, stop with the unrealistic request/expectations and figure out the solution that works best for you. For some it will be Spotify minus Roon. For others it will be Roon as it stands. And others it might be having both Roon and Spotify. But the two will not be combined.

6 Likes

Can I still offer you something? A tee? A coffee? A taxi? :rofl:

1 Like