Spotify announce lossless streaming

I suspect this will not be up to Roon.

edit: full disclosure, I use Roon only with my local library, so I have no angst about this, other than hoping Roon has a good business model going forward and survives.

But the same applies in Roon, you canā€™t mix different types, IE Sonos and Lumin etc.
Its no different.

Most of my devices from Cambridge to Naim have Spotify Connect or some other form of Spotify on them

Im perfectly happy with cd quality and dont need MQA .

1 Like

I have given up on Tidal car play. 95 % of the time when i try to bring up artists,albums or playlists I get a blank screen. I could spend 15 minutes fiddling with Tidal to get it to work. Itā€™s not worth it. Spotify or Apple,Radio Paradise and Somafm come right up with no problems.

This has been going on for years and clearly Tidal is not interested in fixing the problems with carplay.

I donā€™t think the future will be so binary either. I would keep a Qobuz subscription just for the depth of the French and Francophone catalog even with a Spotify account. Everyone cannot be a Spotify or Amazon so there will be room for niche players. The music industry has always been this way. Maybe roon needs to find a way of partnering with the niche streamers in much the same way as it partners with niche high-end hardware suppliers. I cannot see players like Spotify or Amazon being interested in sharing their lunch. I would have thought the music was just a loss leader to them and the real money was in the subscriber data that they need to control.

3 Likes

For me multi room is not an issue. But I understand for some it would be

Yep, multiroom is an absolute requirement for me.

Maybe Sonos will finally enable hi res, then Spotify + Sonos would be hard to beat. Spotify+NAD I guess.

This is why we need more than just a heart shaped like button.

(Insert black and white gif of serious-looking man in a tux clapping)

1 Like

Hilarious :smile:

Quite interesting from JD.

3 Likes

Yeah, some interesting angles. I wonder how nervous the labels should be of Spotify. If I was an artist and could strike a deal direct with Spotifyā€¦

1 Like

I would really see the benefit with adding the Spotify Service to Roon along with Tidal and Quboz. The Roon playback UI is so good and the ability to collect catalogues under one umbrella is feature hard to resist. I am not overly happy with the Spotify webUI as my wife, but brought together we might have the chance of selecting both or one. Since I use Roon together with HQPlayer I really cannot tell the difference between all those different loudness war masters even so in high-res, but still does not match my own catalogue on my NAS with mostly the original masters meticulously ripped to wave and playbacked in Roon and re-sampled in HQP, with filters and dither superior to any affordable DAC or CD-player. So, conlusion, pls add Spotify as one available streaming service to us, hopefully Spotify will see the benefit of reaching us consious hifi listeners once the quality at least reaches CD quality (FLAC streaming) and hopefully not completely ruined by new masterings.

This has been discussed on this thread on numerous occasions. ā€œZero-chance of Spotify being interestedā€ is the general consensus.

3 Likes

I remember when Qobuz didnā€™t want to be integrated into Roon. They finally understood that given their positioning, the lack of functionalities of their application and their size, it was an opportunity. Spotify is absolutely not in this position and has absolutely no interest in doing so, its power alone is enough for it, especially since it is very good in all areas of streaming.

3 Likes

Correct.
Spotify have 300 million users regardless if they pay or simply use the free option. Roon 100k and even if all of them will switch to Spotify hi-fi I donā€™t think the swedish brand will ever consider integrating with Roon, thereā€™s simply no real value for them.
But letā€™s see too early to say.

4 Likes

I wonder why nearly all here do like Spotify Connect. My Amp has Spotify Connect, but I dont use it at all, no matter if it would be lossless or lossy. Also my visitors bringing their Spotify playlists on their smartphones do connect to my HiFi gear over Airplay rather then Spotify Connect, otherwise i would have to maintain the volume level all the time when playing playlists or radio.

well when Spotify does cd streaming Spotify Connect will be lossless. Airplay is not lossless.

AirPlay is lossless up to 44/16 quality. Anything higher is downsampled. Spotify is making no claims of higher than cd quality at the moment.

As Iā€™ve been playing with Spotify, Iā€™m starting to find a more holes in Qobuz library. Like Mudhoney says in their prime 1988-1995 but then I click on it and starts with 1991. When I check Spotify I find the earlier albums listed. So it may not be missing the bandā€™s whole catelog, but just holes here and there.

1 Like

Which has nothing to do with Qobuz, Tidal or Spotify, as the early albums are all there on those services, but is all down to Roonā€™s fairly useless algorithm when it comes to their ITP and other their other new discovery ā€˜features.ā€™