Spotify announce lossless streaming

Friends share Spotify links with me. It’s a PITA to have to go look them up in my Roon / Qobuz set up - so I rarely do it - I would rather just be able to use a Roon / Spotify hybrid.

5 Likes

Does Roon have a public position on adding additional streaming choices?
Cheers!

1 Like

That’s a challenging privileged problem to have.

You can easily convert shared Spotify playlists, though, to Tidal or Qobuz using online conversion apps.

Soundiiz is my converter of choice. Works very nicely.

2 Likes

Mine as well.

I like to use Spotify’s generated playlists for bands and new releases and convert them over to Tidal (to use in Roon).

2 Likes

This kind of gets to my conflict as well. It’s frustrating to be a Tidal user when pretty much everyone else I know - including the rest of my family - is a Spotify user.

I stick with Tidal though because… in priority order…

1. It integrates with Roon
  2. I understand it pays higher rates to the artists
  3. Audio quality
4 Likes

Love Spotify. Their algorithms are fantastic and their recommendations are spot on. Convenience factor is amazing. You are missing the point when your criticism is Billie E.

3 Likes

Today Spotify announced a new lossless streaming tier to be available by the end of the year in ‘select markets.’ I imagine that there are many hurdles to Roon supporting a streaming service beyond my understanding (e.g., the deep data integration required?), but I’m just wondering if others would be interested in Roon ultimately supporting this new lossless service if it were possible.
I subscribe to Tidal because of Roon, and appreciate access to its catalogue and quality through Roon (I don’t like the app). But I also subscribe to Spotify as it, for me, has better music discovery algorithms and is great on the go.
What do you think?

4 Likes

That, once again, and has been repeated many times, it isn’t up to Roon. Same applies to Amazon HD, and same applies to iTunes.

Today’s announcement doesn’t change that.

The only difference with Spotify this time around is there’s hope that Team Knuckledragger won’t come and say that they don’t want no Spotify because it ain’t lossless. They’ll probably find another reason, though.

3 Likes

You can always count on the “deep integration” ■■.

1 Like

Not clear on why Spotify, with millions and millions of subscribers, needs to jump through Roon hoops and do a lot of extra work to get a fraction of Roon’'s 100k subscribers? Math.

7 Likes

Roon have one UI - for Tidal, Qobuz, local files.

Spotify have one UI - for all devices. Even mainstream AVRs that launched with the old crappy Spotify UI had firmware updates to replace this experience with ‘Spotify Connect’.

For the 2 to even talk, one of them would have to budge on UI… I’m only guessing tho.

Something more likely might be the mythical Roon ‘input’ idea that floated years ago. I do that with HQPlayer already (Spotify → HQPlayer (DSP crossover and room correction) → networked endpoint).

After all the hand wringing in recent days over <insert whatever issues you have with 1.8>, is the consensus here that you’d rather have Team Roon work on Spotify integrations vs putting a shine on the UI and adding functionality or dare I say creating Roon-To-Go? We are using a boutique application written and managed by a relatively small team of developers. I assume that they do not have endless cycles to work on every new offering from streaming services.

This may require a poll…

3 Likes

Forget the curmudgeons moaning about 1.8

Move forward with Spotify Hifi!!!

This is big.

2 Likes

I am not a Spotify user, but am glad they are offering lossless. This hopefully means Apple Music is next for lossless, as I have a family subscription with them.

That all said, I am firmly on board with Qobuz and hope they succeed more than any of the others.

If I can ever access Spotify via Roon, I’ll give it a listen.

2 Likes

I see zero motivation for Spotify to open up integration for Roon.

2 Likes

This is going to be the end of tidal, Spotify is superior to tidals interface/ playlist etc, and now also an cd quality sub :ok_hand:

5 Likes

BUT MUM, I’M TALKING TO MY FRIENDS ON MSN!!!

(insert emo lyrics as a screen name here)

TIDAL’s lack of library in comparison to Spotify always kept me off it. I also have products that play friendly with Spotify. However, the number one reason why Spotify is the best among all products is their curated playlists. They are (and have been) always on point. Whatever genre you listen, you’ll find playlists that will work perfectly. Everyone else’s playlists look as if they were randomly generated with AI without a human touch.

Spotify keeps up to date on a weekly/monthly basis to reflect the changes in the genre and industry.

I’ve been using Roon for local lossless library. I’ll obviously be keeping my lossless library and will still be adding select favourite albums from time to time. However, once Spotify Hifi comes out, I won’t really need a reason to use my local library or Roon as much. Internet is stable and fast 99% of the time.

So far local listening and Roon was pretty much only used for full album playback, from start to finish. For random shuffle playback or listening to playlists, it was done on Spotify. I’d take the hit in SQ for the music curation. Now that Spotify will also have the same full lossless albums in that same quality, I may be spending close to all of my time just on Spotify.

I also use Spotify playlists on my PS4 while gaming to come across new music. It rarely misses. The experience of Spotify is fantastic on all devices. Everyone in my family uses Spotify now and can work with their own playlists and navigating it without any difficulties. Roon on the other hand was something they looked and tried maybe 2-3 times and just stopped.

2 Likes