Spotify Connect is a brilliant idea

Agreed but that would definitely complicate the implementation of Spotify Connect client massively.

I think there are rather simple solutions. When connected to a player, the app could simply show a list of app instances that have access and each one cold have 3 states: Allowed everywhere, allowed only on LAN, not allowed. Allowed everywhere could even be the default to satisfy Spotify’s requirement of easy access. Doesn’t even have to be the app, a page in the Spotify web portal would be fine.

Killing one’s speakers or being woken up in the middle of the night by loud music also complicates things, but not for Spotify so doesn’t seem to matter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The owner of the player has to be able to manage/remove client permissions, everything else is just unacceptable in my eyes.

2 Likes

What makes you think a list of users with permissions exists at all? My impression (and why it is so smart an implementation) is that Spotify Connect is SIMPLY a piece of code that gets an access token from whatever client is using it and simply creates a pipe to play music.

It has to go through the Spotify servers, so my impression is that the Spotify servers know which token connects to which player.

And if it is designed in a way that it’s not possible, then it is careless and dumb design.

Access permissions complicate routers as well, so hey, let’s make it cheaper and let everyone access everything. It may be genius if a business manages to sell this to customers, but I wouldn’t call it smart.

1 Like

Without deeper knowledge you can even hardly - if at all - stop this behaviour using client/port/MAC-filtering in your router, because it‘s all happening inside the Spotify-Apps.

This is not brilliant at all.

1 Like

That is just not how it works.

My understanding is the pipe that allows this to work is the same that allows Spotify to stream. You block one and you block the other.

Yes and yes, and this is why Spotify Connect is a non-starter to me.

1 Like