Spotify or Spotify HiFi in Roon [spotify will not allow this]

You only need VPN one time, and that’s for registration.

After that no VPN is needed.

I was wondering on this. Especially for people that utilise Roon through their whole property/office as opposed to just one Hi-Fi system.

I guess most decent streamers have Spotify Connect built in now & even though it means using Spotify AND Roon, I guess you’d prefer Roon to continue as it is than be in the back pockets of Spotify.

It’s easy to forget in the UK that a lot of you guys can’t access Qobuz via the usual routes we can, which is a real shame as the sound quality (in my opinion), if better than that of Tidal. That is also the job of Roon for me, having two fantastic services integrated in to one fantastic interface.

Hi

If you run Roon core on a Linux server I suggest:

It is not an integration for Roon but let you to remote control play from another Spotify app (from a smartphone for example), the daemon will use your DAC (at selected bitrate) to play music.

Already a Qobuz user and recent got Spotify for the family. I have to admit it’s pretty user friendly and the play list are spot on. So why no love for Roon/Spotify?

Cambridge Audio have had access to Spotify via their streamers for years. Ihad my CXN maybe 5yrs ago , the CA Connect App provided Spotify. Its even easier with teior new Stream Magic app

Linn also has access to Spotify through their DSM streamers. The stream my Klimax DSM is displaying is 16/44 CD quality from Spotify direct. (Or the Linn DSM is up-sampling it perhaps). Either way, Spotify does sound very very good in my system!
I was also up-sampling Spotify from my PC through an ASIO to 24/96. It sounds very very good too, but I prefer Spotify directly through the Linn, and controlling it all with an iPad using the Spotify app. May try Tidal at some point through the Linn.

On a second note, I am considering Roon, but am using JRiver media ($24.00) on a PC at the moment for my ripped content. I have no sound quality issue’s with JRiver, all works well with iPad control. So to spend on Roon is questionable.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Can you get ASIO from Spotify?

I voted on another thread, but I would really like to see this happen!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Spotify announce lossless streaming

Because of the way Spotify runs their business, this is currently impossible, and the chances of Spotify ever letting it happen is less that my chances of winning both MegaMillions and Powerball in the same week, for four straight weeks, multiplied by my chances of waking up tomorrow morning 50 years younger.

I think it is all nonsense that spotify can not on Roon because why can it on volumio? In volumio there is a plugin or two to connect spotify to volumio. But I like Roon better so to me it is still not clear why it is not integrated. I have both Tidal and Spotify it would be nice if there is a way to broadcast spotify to Roon

I wonder how many times @Danny needs to explain this?

4 Likes

Because Roon doesn’t do pass through like other players. If it was merely a matter of passing on the Spotify, Amazon, Deezer, etc etc app but not integrating it into the rest of Roon, then they would have done it a long time ago like other players. But that’s not how Roon works. Or haven’t you noticed?

1 Like

So, it’s not going to happen. Forget it. Move on.

Roon is a shell that needs music to shine, they have none. Tidal and Qobuzz are looking for help, ie., Roon. Spotify and Deezer are the predominant music services in Europe. Amazon is pretty big in the states and the world because of prime. IMO, most people especially millennials are not interested in quality, they are interested in noise. I know I have kids. Really, hi-res music is for the connoisseur of music and a person of means. There are also a lot of people here that that love to tinker, all I want to do is listen to music. Doesn’t matter why they haven’t integrated with several other music services but if they don’t, here we are. Spotify may not be as slick or do what Roon does but bring up the app and it works. No tinkering.

What point are you making here? That you like Spotify? I do too. It meets different needs.

1 Like

Roon needs Spotify, Spotify does not need Roon.
Most people just want to listen to music and not tinker. Don’t care about metadata.
Only connoisseurs care about hi-res.
I don’t use Spotify, I use Amazon unlimited.

1 Like

That doesn’t appear to be the market segment Roon wants to compete in.

What one ‘needs/wants’ and what is actually available are two entirely different things. If Spotify won’t open up to Roon, what are Roon supposed to do, storm their offices in a riot?

2 Likes

There in lies the problem.