Squeezebox Feedback

The time ticking in Roon is an indication that the stream made it to the Squeezebox (Roon’s time ticker is driven by the Squeezebox’s internal clock).

This makes me think that this is either a problem with audio connections, or the volume is turned down/muted, or similar.

If you’re using EDO, the analog outputs on your SBT may be disabled, which would require you to plug the SBT into a DAC using a digital connection.

Brian,

You are right. I did not have my preamp switched to the coaxial setting.

I now have sound.

However, I am using Roon as the control center. I don’t see any music on the SBT screen.

Should I?

After turning off LMS and Avast (just in case) and power off/on both Roon Core and SBT, Roon saw the Squeezebox touch momentarily in the networked devices panel. So I named the device, tried to play it, but no sound and then the SBT disappeared from the networked devices panel and has not reappeared.

Also, I tried to give the SBT the IP address of my Roon Core, but SBT says I have to have LMS running.

Any ideas?

What should I expect to see on the SB Touch screen? Mine was displaying the clock until I navigated to now playing, when I got the usual display of album cover and album title and track title. Nowhere did I see anything that indicated Roon. Also, the transport controls didn’t appear to work: I tried pausing a track and it kept playing until the end.

What should I expect to see on the SB Touch screen? Mine was displaying the clock until I navigated to now playing, when I got the usual display of album cover and album title and track title. Nowhere did I see anything that indicated Roon.

That sounds about right. For it to show “Roon” on those devices (Touch + Radio), we’d need to build new firmware for those devices.

Also, the transport controls didn’t appear to work: I tried pausing a track and it kept playing until the end.

Is your Squeezebox firmware up to date? This is working for me.

I have completed the following:

Updated Roon
Changed music library on Squeezebox - Received an error

Was still able to remote control Squeezebox from Roon at this stage. I was able to Group 3 together and play for a few hours last night without any issues (no firmware upgrades, no turning off of LMS)

Nice work guys! When Roon say they take user feedback seriously they are not bending the truth( I originally brought this up in April, it wasn’t on the roadmap and Roon delivered!) :

Merry Christmas Team Roon - I hope you all get a well deserved break!

Cheers
Tom

Tried to get the connection to Squeezebox Touch for a long time
without success. It wasn’t detected by Roon wirelessly. Plugged a network cable from SBT to routher and it worked right away. Now everything works fantastic.

Does it continue to work if you unplug the SBT and go back to running it wirelessly? Might move wiring the living room higher on my to-do list.

(This was a question directed to Gilles_Thomas but it’s not posting under him. May be because I replied to the wrong post, my bad.)

I’ll echo the experience of Michael. I have a Squeezebox Touch that exhibits the same behavior. First off, it WORKS! Wonderful! Second, it shows the current music when I use “Now Playing” but that display goes away. I can get it back again by going back to “Now Playing”. this is enough functionality for me on that device. With my Transporter, again it WORKS!! I see the Roon logo, and I can change to the other Roon displays (e.g. VU meter or frequency). However, there is no possibility of display of what is playing which is slightly disappointing. When I have a long playlist running, it is nice to be able to glance over and see what movement I’m hearing of a symphony, or how much longer the track has to play. Just to have the functionality of playing is wonderful, but of course it would be nice to have more displayed.

I had no difficulty with either my Touch or Transporter, however they are both Ethernet connected, not WiFi, so that might make a big difference.

Hope this helps someone. Totally worth it to have these devices continue to play well, even bit-perfect, and have the terrific Roon front end management. I’m loving being able to go into Tidal and pick out different performers and versions of music I love. Currently, I’m inventorying performances of Bach’s Solo Cello suites from both Tidal and my collection. Great stuff!

dfhaley, the problem of not staying on the Now Playing screen went away after I power-cycled my Touch. It was always connected by ethernet. The problem has not returned, even though I have switched between LMS and Roon occasionally.

Thanks for enabling SQ end-points. The ability to use a Touch as an interface to a DAC in separate rooms is a great addition to Roon. Using a Touch with EDO enabled really extends the functionality of the app. Can’t wait for the RoonSpeaker functionality
N

Thanks Michael. Mine now correctly displays Now-Playing, per your recommendation. Now if only my Transporter did too!

Best

Brain and all - Thank you, thank you, from another Squeezebox touch user. My subscription paid off after all! Had to fiddle around with the SBT a bit and typed in the IP address of the the Roon core computer a couple of times before the SBT could find it, but everything is now working! Oddly enough, the SBT still doesn’t show up on the list of network devices but who cares as long as Roon sees it! I was using the SBT with a Vortexbox server and Roon picks up the Vortexbox music library. Wow.

Any additional suggestions for getting to mysqueezebox.com on a SBT while Roon is running?

Per the “How do I set up Roon to stream to my Squeezebox devices?” post, I tried to access mysqueezebox.com via the Settings on the SBT. I found nothing relevant in the Settings. I also tried the “+” on the SBT remote and again no relevant options appeared.

I’m visiting family and the Roon > SBT is for my parents who listen to Pandora and internet radio A LOT. Both Pandora and TuneIn are apps activated on their mysqueezebox.com acount. I fly out on next week Tuesday. Recognize that it’s a BUSY time for Roon w/ CES. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Disabled LMS and enabled the SB support in Roon, and then powered up my SB3s. All of them were recognised first time and display the Roon logo in big, green, friendly letters.

Playing music out to them, everything works. The audio quality is excellent and appears better than via LMS (why?).

However, I notice that I can’t actually do much with the SB3 locally. I can’t show NowPlaying info for example, and while I seem to be able to move about in the playlist (somewhat haphazardly it appears), I can’t display anything other than the logo. Is this what I should expect?

It would certainly be nice to be able to search for content and add/play it, but I appreciate that this might be too much to ask and I am certainly very happy to have replay at all! (I just don’t have a compatible tablet - any chance of a Roon iPeng?)

Did you have any Crossfade, ReplayGain or hefty digital volume attenuation going on in LMS? They could be the only objective reasons.[quote=“RichardE, post:30, topic:6290”]
I can’t display anything other than the logo. Is this what I should expect?
[/quote]
Yes, this seems to be a limitation with the older ip3k firmware players. I don’t know if the Roon guys are planning any enhancements or whether it’s firmware limited. A Touch or Radio will give you Now Playing and artwork.

Sounds like it’s subjective then :slight_smile: I traditionally ran the digital outputs and turned off control of the digital volume level so I could decode DTS content successfully, which requires bit-accurate repro. (Haven’t tried DTS via Roon yet, I need to do so.)

Thanks for the helpful comments.

@matt Do you get DSD 64 Full? I’m only able to get DSD64 converted from PCM 352,8 to 176,4. I have a Raspberry Pi2, loaded with max2play Image, which has squeezlite loaded. I would prefer a more “pure” solution, without all the bells and whistles max2play has to offer. If someone knows an pi-image with a pure and light squezzlite with only the librarys for pure sound included, please tell us what you use.

But, anyway, until roon releases a RoonSpeaker Solution for Raspberry Pi 2, this is a great Solutiont i can use with my DENON PMA-50 with best Sound from Pi via USB to my DENON.

@Bernd_Hofmann : check out Picoreplayer!

No, but my DAC doesn’t support DSD so I haven’t tried.