Squeezebox replacement?

Every now and then I’ll wonder how long I’ll be using the 4 squeezeboxes that I now have. One needs repair (where does one get that done), and the price for these things is higher than when I bought them new years ago. It’s also annoying that the squeezeboxes won’t play in a group in Roon.

Where does one go from here? Any suggestions?

I assume you are using them as roon endpoints. If so if/when they break just replace them with another endpoint such as a RPi with a DAC hat or if you want an already built endpoint something like a microrendu.

Take a look at the Sonore microRendu, or Sonicorbiter. Bluesound has some new stuff out as well. The pi crowd might have some recommendations too.

Sure they can I have my Squeezebox Boom and SB 3 grouped as I type.

I meant - they won’t play with anything other than other Squeezeboxes. I do play mine in groups now, but if I added something other than another Squeezebox, well… there goes the group.

Actually, like devices only play with like devices, Squeezebox or not. Sonos will only play with Sonos, Airplay with Airplay, for example.

But, you are right if you want to group with other RAAT protocol devices then you’d need to change them all. Robert had some good suggestions earlier in the thread.

1 Like

The problem with Squeezeboxes, obviously, is that they have been discontinued and are unsupported. I would need to replace everything if I wanted to keep the same groups.

@Ronald_Lyster

I’m not a squeezebox guy, but if the player(s) you purchased had squeezebox mode (both my players do: Bryston BDP-1 and Sonore microRendu), you might be able to retain zone compatibility with your SBs. Prior to the Bryston being Roon RAAT certified, I used it with Roon in Squuezebox mode, and it showed up in zones as a squeezebox device. Just a thought…

2 Likes

I replaced my squeezebox system with rpi’s and dac hats from iqaudio.

Just as solid as the squeezeboxes is my experience.

1 Like

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions.

I started my Roon experience with a squeezebox touch, it was very good to get started but the Sonore microRendu is a much better solution, I would highly recommend it.

I find microRendu and their other Sonore products, Well over price… If you take some time and do some research, You can do the same and even more for half of the cost…

@OP: I feel your pain, I have 3 Squeezeboxe’s. I made the decision to move on and replace them with Sonos.
I can play spotify and roon with no issues.

2 Likes

They’re in good supply though, and “support” from Roon is great. Hardware support = buy another.

2 Likes

@Fernando_Fuentes

What are some the choices you’ve mentioned. Half the price of a Sonicorbiter is pretty inexpensive. Are these ready made products with firmware, and firmware support? Or stuff you have to piece together? Are these other options of similar quality and/or build?

I’d be curious (as likely other members would) to see what players you’ve identified that outperform Sonore for half the cost?

If you’re looking in trying something else I suggest you start with a Raspberry Pi. It’s an extremely cheap solution that has huge, no HUGE, value for money.

3 Likes

The darn things cost more used than they did new (when Logitech supported them).

@rrwwss52,

Out perform in which way? There is nothing to outperform. This is a simple Source endpoint for multiple Protocols/Streams/Client Applications. I can do what microRendu does less than 300 dollars. Best part? I have control of everything. From the source OS to the hardware. There is so many options out there, Starting with the simplest one “Raspberry Pi” and the lists goes on.

@Ronald_Lyster, Tell me about it! Ugh!

1 Like

oh and forgot to mention, But you can get a CuBox-i for allot cheaper.

@Fernando_Fuentes

Great. Are these off the shelf products, or are these players you have to piece together? E.g. Kits. I’d be interested in putting one together. Simple? or is a high level of expertise required? Don’t mean to offend. Just looking for additional information. Thanks.

Putting these things together is child’s play. It’s generally a case of downloading an OS image and writing it to an SD card e.g. DietPi

1 Like