SqueezeBox Support [SOLVED]

Great!! Can’t wait.

To all squeezebox owners… I found my old Duet, thought I had given it away, but looking for some christmas decorations ended up with this surprise.

I googled a bit, but am I correct that the difference between the Touch and Duet is that the Touch has an USB out? So, the Duet will not work with EDO and DoP?

Haven’t looked at the Squeezebox range for a long time, so am kinda out of touch with all community developments…

The Duet will still work as an endpoint? What will be the drawbacks, compared to the Touch?

Great news that the squeezebox support in imminent. Thanks again @Brian, even working in the holidays it seems! To answer your question Rob, my understanding is your assumptions are correct surrounding the differences between the Touch and Duet. No reason why the Duet won’t work as an endpoint - the screenshot above shows three of the squeezebox family being controlled by Roon (a Touch, a Radio & an older Squeezebox3) The Duet would work in the same way, and you could use the digital, optical or analogue outputs to an Amp or DAC. You’ll be glad you didn’t give it away!

Will EDO be required? And if EDO is required, will the USB port be required? What will appear at the digital output?

Vincent, thanks for the reply. Looking forward to what roon will bring to the squeezebox family and if for some reason not all features can be supported due to hardware limitations, I still have a cheap endpoint for one of the less critical rooms.

No, EDO is not required. Nor is the USB port. I posted an EDO screenshot because many people use it and were concerned for its support situation because it’s an unofficial add-on.

The EDO add-on was only for the Touch. It was in essence a hack that allowed a 24/192 stream. Other Squeezeboxes were limited to lesser resolution, 24/48 for Boom, SB3 & Duet, 24/96 for the Transporter.

LMS software is setup to “sense” the maximum resolution that your SB hardware device can handle, and resample any material in higher res than the maximaum capability of the device to themaximum rate that the device can playback.
So for the Duet it resamples higher res to 24/48, and for the Touch it resamples to 24/96. If you have more than one device, it will resample to the “highes common rate” between the devices. If the Touch has EDO, LMS should “know” that it can accept hi-res.

Great, assuming it works with squeezelite as well, then it will bridge (using picoreplayer) untill the Raspberry Pi Roon support comes out.
Curious what the differences (if any) will be between both permutations of Roon on an rpi.

So, presumably, without EDO, Roon would convert DSD to PCM and 192/24 to 96/24? And with EDO, it will do native DSD and 192/24? One thing I’ve never been clear about: will a Touch with EDO send 192/24 over its optical/coax output? Or DSD?

Haven’t tried it, but I’m pretty sure it won’t send DSD over coax.

So, presumably, without EDO, Roon would convert DSD to PCM and 192/24 to 96/24?

When addressing compatibility between content and a device, Roon cuts the sample rate in half until it reaches a rate that the device supports. So, for example, an SB3 that supports only 44.1k and 48k will play 192k content at 48k and 88.2k content at 44.1k. DSD content (which inhabits sample rates that are integer multiples of 44.1k) would all play at 44.1k.

Likewise, if playing to a device that doesn’t support DSD (either native, or encapsulated), the DSD content will be converted to PCM. For the most part, Roon’s idea of whether a device supports DSD or not is something managed in Roon’s settings.

None of what I just explained is specific to Squeezebox–the same logic applies to all outputs.

And with EDO, it will do native DSD and 192/24?

From Roon’s perspective, EDO just causes the Touch to support 176.4/24 and 192/24 in addition to the configurations that it supported from the factory.

When DSD64 is encapsulated as DoP, it is carried within a 176.4/24 PCM stream. So EDO creates the possibility of transmitting DoP-encapsulated DSD64 to a DoP-capable DAC via the coax-out on the SB Touch.

So, if you have a Touch with EDO, you can go into Roon settings and choose “DSD over PCM” as the “DSD Playback Strategy”, just as you would on a local audio device.

One thing I’ve never been clear about: will a Touch with EDO send 192/24 over its optical/coax output? Or DSD?

S/PDIF is explicitly a PCM interconnect. I’m not aware of anyone carrying “naked” DSD streams over S/PDIF without encapsulating them using something like DoP.

The Touch, even with EDO, has no awareness of DSD–from the perspective of its hardware/firmware, it’s playing a 176.4/24 PCM stream. It’s up to the DAC that you’ve plugged into the Touch to recognize that the incoming PCM stream is DoP-encapsulated DSD64 and handle it properly.

2 Likes

I had some experience with Touch with EDO. First of all I recall it can pass 24/192 over Coax SPDIF.

Secondly, there is a way you can pass pure DoP DSD stream by converting DSF files encapsulated inside FLAC files. I tried before and it worked like a charm.

To the Touch it was just playing FLAC files, but when it reaches the DAC the DAC receives it as DoP streams and blissfully plays it as native DSD without knowing the difference. It worked over USB and Coax.

2 Likes

Me too … +1

Any time frame for Roon supporting SB devices ?

It’s at the final stages of alpha testing, I think your going to get a nice Xmas present :wink:

Hoping so! And it will be bit perfect?

Why would it be anything else?

1 Like