SqueezeBox Support [SOLVED]

@danny If the Squeezebox hardware is not going to be compatible with Roon software, would it be possible to keep the Squeezebox server software (LMS) running and use Roon as a remote control for LMS . This would negate the need for a Roon interface on the devices themselves but would require your software to select the next track to play from Tidal or the local store.

As far as I know the plan is to implement the SlimProto TCP Protocol / Squeezebox Client Protocol thus making all clients compatible (they will not know theyā€™re not speaking to LMS). The unfortunate complexity comes in knowing which clients support which audio bit depth and frequency and then having to either refuse to play back or downsample unsupported files.

That is an unfortunate complexity! How does Sbox get around that issue now?

LMS knows the attributes of each client and transcodes where necessary using SoX then streams the downsampled content to the client/player in question.

We are going to look at supporting Squeezeboxā€¦it doesnt look too bad.

LMS doesnā€™t make sense for Roon, but the endpoints do.

5 Likes

Awesome. I know JRiver also supports Squeezebox but they are not able to offer gapless playback. I remember discussing it with them and they mentioned a reason why (which I canā€™t remember)ā€¦ Hopefully Roon wonā€™t have that issue. :slight_smile:

Right now I use iPeng with my iPad, but it would be cool to use the iOS app and be able to just change the zone to the Squeezebox Touch.

Awesome. I know JRiver also supports Squeezebox but they are not able to offer gapless playback. I remember discussing it with them and they mentioned a reason why (which I canā€™t remember)ā€¦ Hopefully Roon wonā€™t have that issue. smile

Based on my initial review of SlimProto, I donā€™t see why gapless should be a problem. We would just treat it like an endless stream containing multiple tracks stitched together.

That doesnā€™t meant that we wonā€™t run into some intractable implementation issue down the road, but as of right now, our plan is to be gapless.

4 Likes

JRiver doesnā€™t natively support squeezboxen. Thereā€™s a DLNA layer involved to get playback working and thus why gapless was a problem.

1 Like

That was it. Thanks.

Iā€™m looking at the Libratone line to use while travelling. Iā€™m curious, @danny which model do you have experience with that you like?

I have friends with Libratones and they love them. Fuzzy and in nice colors :smile:

I had an A7, but I gave it to @brian for building out Airplay support. I am Airplay-less at the moment. I am desperately wanting (like many of you) to have a Raspberry Pi + RoonSpeakers solution.

Airplay is nice in that they all work the same, because Apple forces the vendors to use the same chip to do Airplay (or at least, they used to before they allowed software-only certification)

Just pick the device based on the quality/features/price tradeoff.

You and me both want it and are happy to help nudge it along. You are just slightly better positioned than most of us to do so :smile:.

I too use LMS at my home. I have two endpoints, and three using iPeng. One endpoint is a squeezebox 3 and one is a RPi running squeezeslave.

• When commuting I use iPeng to stream the music to my phone connected to my car stereo. iPeng recognizes a cellular connection and lowers the maximum allowed bitrate. This makes LMS transcode to MP3, but I donā€™t care - Iā€™m on the road.
  • At work I use squeezeslave as an endpoint to connnect to LMS at home. I use either the web UI or iPeng to control the endpoint. At work I transcode to maximum lossless 24/48, mainly to conserve bandwidth and to provide a consistent QoS.

I still havenā€™t found another application that supports even a fraction of what LMS can do for me. There were some like AudioGalaxy but they were shut down. I took a look at VOX + LOOP. But they require that I upload my entire library in order for it to be available.

Iā€™m currently on vacation and Iā€™m eager to start the evaluation of Roon, but the lack of proper endpoint support for either the RPi or the squeezebox, plus the lack of the iOS app (will it have an endpoint? will it run on iPhone) is currently a blocker for me.

For the streaming reasons, I guess I will not switch to Roon completely, but the RoonSpeakers / Squeezebox support is mandatory for me.

Transcoding / streaming to a remote endpoint is a major major plus. Iā€™ll post it as a feature request in additionā€¦

Squeezebox support would be brilliant as i could use my squeezebox radio

Triodes fantastic iplayer (bbc radio) plugin is amazingā€¦ If he could be persuaded to help implement something similar (live radio and catchup) then i think you would have a captive audience (in a good way) as sonos/bluesound etc use tunein which is pants. If there was a plugin framework/sdk that would allow for this do this id subscribe right nowā€¦

Triode is also the author of Squeezelite, a wonderful tool for those of us that donā€™t own a Squeezebox - a simple, lean, Linux based endpoint. Running that on an small ARM based, Archlinux endpoint is how I - and many. many other people - get all the benefits of LMS, without needing a Squeezebox. IMO hooking up with Triode would be very much in Roon Labsā€™ best interest.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been a long time user of Squeezeboxen back to the SlimDevices days ā€“ amazing tech that was way ahead of its time. I still use it exclusively throughout my home (Touch in main audio rig, Duet in dining room, another Touch on the porch, SB Radio in bedroom, etcā€¦) as well as stream remotely to my iphone at work and whenever Iā€™m traveling. The ability to stream synced or stream different music concurrently to multiple locations is huge. Iā€™ve yet to see anything as good at a reasonable price point.

All that said, I think Roon is positioned to change the way people experience music. If somehow Roon could support the Squeezebox technology (as an LMS replacement, front-end to LMS, whateverā€¦), it would be a huge win that I have to think would attract hordes of currently committed Squeezebox users. I know Iā€™d be one.

We agree. Itā€™s on my over-populated todo list. Roon would manage the collection and act like an alternative to LMS from the perspective of the various devices.

1 Like

Iā€™ve worked IT for a lot of years so I totally understand ā€œover-populated todo listā€. Iā€™m just glad itā€™s on your list! I do think there is a window of opportunity. I suspect that there are quite a few Squeezebox users today just waiting for a better solution and thereā€™s no question that there are alternatives hitting or soon-to-be hitting the market at various price points. Canā€™t wait to see what you come up with.

[quote=ā€œmdconnelly, post:58, topic:1043ā€]ā€¦I suspect that there are quite a few Squeezebox users today just waitingā€¦
[/quote]There sure are ! :wink:

Do you have any vague idea on when this might happen?
My two week try-out period will be over in a few days, if SqueezeBox was xupported and working to my satisfaction Iā€™d buy the lifetime subscription.
As it stands, I think Iā€™ll have to cancel, and check back what users say when SqueezeBox support is here.