Squeezebox Touch in 2021 as a Roon Endpoint - Is it worth it?

check the thread i posted from the slimdevices forums for instructions on installing, and configuring EDO. from there one simply enables squeezebox support in roon, and points the Touch to roon as the squeeze server. the Darko article provides good instructions. it’s all pretty straightforward, but make sure LMS is turned off if you have it running somewhere on your network.

once setup it works seamlessly with roon.

one small note: it’s best to use ethernet if possible. the Touch has an older implementation of WiFi, and in my experience, it has trouble with newer mesh networks.

Excellent advice and pretty much essential for streaming high resolution audio files to the Touch.

Here’s a simple step by step guide for installing the EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) on a Squeezebox Touch

1. Make sure the Touch is connected to your network

2. click on “Settings” on the main menu of the Touch

3. click on “Advanced” on the “Settings” menu

4. click on “Applet Installer” on the “Advanced Settings” menu

5. click on “allow third party apps” (the Touch may reboot)

6. click on “Enhanced Digital Output” on the list of applets

7. click on install. The Touch will then install the EDO app and may need to reboot several times.

8. Once the EDO app is installed go to the “Settings” → “Advanced” menu and click on “Digital Output”

9. click on “Select Audio Output” and select “Digital Only”. The Touch may reboot again.

10. Connect the Touch to your DAC using any of the three digital outputs (coax, optical or USB).

11. In Roon under “Settings” → “Audio” → “Device Setup” → “Advanced” make sure that the “Max sample rate (PCM)” is set to match the maximum sample rate of the DAC’s digital input.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

excellent.

I would add “make sure squeezebox support is enabled in Roon settings.”

3 Likes

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’m just now discovering and considering this.

Someone earlier mentioned when using EDO that it disables the analog RCA outputs. Is this correct?

Thanks.

that is correct.

Thanks. :+1:

For some reason the steps above to install EDO were not working for me. I ended up unplugging the Touch then plugging it back in to reboot it. After doing that I was able to get to the step to install EDO and it presented a message indicating that the analog outputs would be disabled. At least for now, I’m not using the digital outputs so I didn’t load EDO.

Also, I noticed my Touch is acting strangely (I haven’t used it in awhile). The Touch is telling me it can’t connect to my Salkstream III streamer (where Roonserver and my music files live), but Roon sees the Touch as an endpoint and will play through it although the Touch display gives no indication of this; no album art, just whatever screen it happens to be on. It use to display the album art.

Right now I’m having the Touch reload the firmware to see if that fixes it. BTW, I’m not running LMS, only the Touch. Could this be an issue? It seemed to work fine before without running LMS.

This whole adventure came up because I’m looking at upgrading my headphone setup. Currently, I just use my NAD Viso HP 50 headphones (with a convolution filter) plugged into my iPad or iPhone headphone jack. I’m looking at upgrading to a pair of Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Closed headphones and a separate headphone amp, which I plan to feed with my Touch (as a Roon endpoint).

Update: reloading the Touch firmware seems to have restored normal behavior. :+1:

1 Like

is it? interesting.

I haven’t used my Touch in a long time, and didn’t use the analog outputs, but I don’t recall reading this before.

Still use two TOUCH players (both feeding external DACs via S/PDIF), but never used EDO. I recalled when it came out the discussion about analog outs being turned off. The poster just before me talks about how at a certain point in the EDO install it actually warned him that the analog outs would be turned off, so I guess that is still true and I remembered correctly (which is not always true for me these days. :wink:)

2 Likes

apparently for me as well!

remind me, does the Touch do 24/192 via coax w/o EDO?

I’m going to guess no based on the options Roon reports in the device settings.

And if I’m reading it correctly, this review seems to confirm the 96khz limitation (w/o EDO)

1 Like

Correct. Max 24:96 without EDO.

1 Like

Transporter and touch do 24/96 natively. Duet player and radio do 24/48 Maximum natively. SB3 I recall does 24/48 or 44.1. Not sure about SB2and SB1. Only the touch can be modified to do greater than 24/96 and that is through EDO. And can work at 24/192 with either USB out, optical out, or coax out assuming external DAC supports.

1 Like

The Touch with EDO (enhanced digital output) will output 24bit/192kHz via any of the three digital outputs (coax, optical and USB). My instructions posted above are correct.

See this earlier post.

1 Like

Ugh, today my Touch stopped automatically displaying the “Now Playing” screen when playing to it via Roon (I can manually select “Now Playing” on theTouch). And the clock stopped displaying when off (it does that sometimes for no apparent reason).

Also, I found in the Roon KB that the Touch must be running firmware 7.8.x to use EDO with Roon. My Touch was on 7.7.x with a message “no updates available”. Out of curiosity, I launched LMS on my laptop, then checked the Touch again. This time it showed an update available from my laptop, v7.8.0 (but LMS on the laptop reports it’s on 7.9.0?), so I updated the Touch to that so I can use EDO in the future if I like.

Ugh, all this computer/software mess drives me nuts. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Update: After unplugging the Touch for a bit to reboot, it’s now automatically displaying Now Playing and the clock when off. Go figure. :person_facepalming:

1 Like

Exactly! The Touch’s display when connected to Roon has a mind of its own.

For example, the clock display works only during months beginning with M but then only when located in states beginning with A except for when the Roon core is rebooted before 10am.

In other words, a complete enigma. :rofl: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yeah, the display definitely has a (fickle) mind of it’s own. At least it’s reliably playing music. :+1:

BTW, the Touch analog outputs to my new headphone amp and new headphones sound great! :smiley:

1 Like