Squeezebox vs Roon Bridge

I’m new to Roon, coming from LMS and a plethora of Squeezeboxes, both authentic and of the Linux+Squeezelite variety.

If I’ve understood the terminology correctly, a native Roon player is known as Roon Bridge? I have some confusion over whether Roon Bridge is the same thing as RAAT.

Anyway, I’m wondering if there’s any point in me turning the various Raspberry Pi and Cubox machines I have into Roon Bridge machines, and leaving behind Squeezebox? Do we Squeezeboxers lose anything to what the Roon Bridge guys get?

Thanks,

Simon

RoonBridge is the ‘receiver’ software; RAAT is the protocol for sending audio. You may want to read this article on its design philosophy in the knowledge base. The part about clock ownership is particularly interesting:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT

1 Like

I’m a long-time Squeezebox user. Started using Roon last year, with a Squeezebox as end-point thanks to Roon supporting it.

But in the holidays I’ve put it away. Definite move to Roon, with a Raspberry Pi 3 acting as end-point. Although Roon’s support for the Squeezebox is excellent, I had problems with high res content.

For me it’s simple: Roon is the first solution that I’ve come to know that is at least as capable and user friendly as the Squeezebox eco system. But it’s time to move on: Roon’s future looks promising!

1 Like

If you are a keen Spotify user and enjoy the touch screen interface then you will miss these.

1 Like

Well I had a lazy Sunday to spend fiddling around, so I moved my Cubox and Raspberry Pi 3 to Roon instead of Squeezebox. I don’t really see any particular benefit, but I guess I’m “more Roon” now.

2 Likes

I am enjoying my squeezeboxes very much with Roon and am very much looking forward to the imminent (so they say) 1.3 update.

I believe the team have had to add text display support for another device, so our squeezeboxes will benefit from this in this update.

Hopefully with track names etc being displayed and not just a big Roon logo.

If you use any streaming apart from Tidal, then you will miss them, as only Tidal is supported currently.

Testing Roon 1.3…some features are quite good, the aggregation of the librairy vs the artist information available on the web.
Playlist management is very well implemented.

But considering the price asked for Roon…there is no multi-language support, no support for TuneIn , no support for podcast, the Squeezelite player are not detected (even if the switch is on) and so far no sonic improvement compare to Squeezelite.