SSD drive for Nucleus+

Both the old (4TB) SSD and the new (8TB) SSD will be in the same physical location: the internal storage of the Nucleus+.

So they will have the same name and location in Roon’s Storage Settings, I expect it to be something like: “Nucleus+ Internal Storage”.

For a trouble-free change, you should make sure that the file and folder structure for your 8TB SSD is the same as it was for your 4TB SSD. Check that your Backup software (or File Copying software) will do this.

It is, of course, always a good idea to make sure that you have backed up your Roon Database (which contains all your tags, edits, and system settings) using Roon’s Backup function (Settings > Backup) as a safety measure before changing your SSDs.

However, because, as far as Roon is concerned, all your files and folders are still in exactly the same place (although in a bigger container - the 8TB SSD), everything should remain exactly as it was: all your tags and edits will be preserved.

Samsung 8TB SSD

Hello Geoff_Goupe,

thank you for your information.

The music files on the old internal 4 TB SSD

were automatically stored according to the Roon-Linux format.

These music files cannot be read out safely with Windows 10 64bit

(via MAC it is possible, but I do not have a MAC).

So I have read it here in the forum.

This means that all music files of the internal old SSD,

must be copied from a separate backup drive to the new internal 8 TB SSD, via Lan network.

With approx. 1.3 TB, this took approx. 20 hours, how long does it take with 4 TB music file data? (can be calculated in three sentences).

I need for this process detailed informations.

Thank You for Your help

Michael Strickrodt

I don’t think that you are correct.

I have a NUC running ROCK - so it is the same operating system (Roon OS) that is used in the Nucleus/Nucleus+. It has a 1TB HDD that has been formatted by Roon OS in exactly the same way as it is done for a Nucleus/Nucleus+.

It is perfectly possibly to both read and write files and folders on this storage drive using Windows File Explorer. I also use Allway Sync to make and restore Backups of the music files and folders on this drive. Allway Sync runs on my Windows 10 PC.

I think you two are talking about different things…

The internal drive from Roon OS is formatted EXT4, which Windows nor MacOS can read natively. There are tools to let you read it, but its not stock.

If your goal is to move from 1 internal drive to another, the easiest way is to use a large USB drive as an intermediary storage location.

There are many other ways to pull it off, but it will require expertise and access to more software.

Where did you buy your Nucleus+? Maybe your dealer can assist? If there is interest, I can see if our RMA department (which often deals with repairs and installs) could offer this as a service going forward for direct sales.

1 Like

Hello Geoff_Coupe,
I did not know the software Allway Sync yet.
It can read Linux based formatting up to 4 TB and about 40’000 music files correctly?

To change the SSD, please see this thread:

Here you can also find a step by step instruction for the change of the internal SSD to a new bigger SSD.
Unfortunately this step by step instruction is available from Roon Lab
not tested, which is very frightening and also unsettles me,
as there is absolutely no complete and therefore correct information on this topic here in the Roon Community.

Steps for changing the smaler internal Music Drive to an larger new one:

Actual Process Step, Version from Gerald_Schrader 21 May 2019:

1. Backup Roon database.

2. Go to Nucleus log-out page: Log out of Nucleus (Go to Settings, General and click Logout)

3. Shut down Nucleus from Nucleus web admin page

4. Disconnect the Nucleus from the electric power

5. Remove / replace internal storage SSD to an larger one.

6. Connect the Nucleus to the electric power.

7. Power up Nucleus from Nucleus web admin page

8. Go to Nucleus web admin page 192.168.1.xxx: 1.-stop the server software.

9. From Nucleus web admin page 192.168.1.xxx: format new SSD with nucleus.

10. From Nucleus web admin page 192.168.1.xxx: 2.-stop the server software.

11. Copy music files across the network from the storage backup location (PC) to new internal SSD in
    Nucleus.
    If asked for a username and password, use «Guest» for both.

12. From Nucleus web admin page 192.168.1.xxx: restart server software.

13. Go to Nucleus log-in page: Log in of Nucleus (Go to Settings, General and click Login)

14. restore Roon database

Comment: Those instructions look good, most importantly:

1. shut down from the [admin web page 2]
    (https://kb.roonlabs.com/Nucleus_Web_Administration_Interface)
  2. physically swap the drive 1
  3. power up, initialize from the admin webpage 1,
    and copy your music over

Thank You for your help.

Greetings from near Basel

Michael

Hello Danny,

I bought my Roon Nucleus+ (rev.B) in Switzerland, in Oct.2019, S/N: 54B2030BBD6.

I have not received any understandable, complete and applicable information from the Swiss importer.
I was informed that he does not pass on such information to end customers, or at least only against payment.
Super Swiss service!!!

Recommendation for the Roon Nucleus rev.C:
please provide connection options there for 4 additional internal SSD’s.

Thanks for your help.

Greetings from near Basel

Michael

Michael,

These instructions are essentially the same as those I gave you earlier, with two additions:

• Logging out/Logging in of the Nucleus
  • Stopping the Roon Server before formatting and copying across the backup of your music files.

The first (Logging out/Logging in) is not necessary.

The second is certainly a good idea, and I agree that stopping the Roon Server is advised when copying across large numbers of albums.

Note that your IP address for the Web Administration page is set by your router, and may be different to what Gerald quotes.

Hello Geoff_Coupe,

It may be that you have named the one and the other,
unfortunately I did not understand your explanation.

Please excuse that I did not understand this in your info:

“The first (Logging out/Logging in) is not necessary.”

The first Logout is in pos. 2.
The first login is in pos. 13

Please excuse me, I cannot find the second logout / login,
where do you think it should be positioned?

What do you mean by

“Note that your IP address for the Web Administration page is set by your router, and may be different to what Gerald quotes.”

I do not understand this statement and ask you to provide more detail about this info please.

The server software may need to be stopped twice,
when the server automatically reconnects after the 1st stop,
this is how it was described in the above mentioned Threet (this is how I understood it).

I ask for your understanding,
I want to understand this process and document it very precisely for others and for me,
so that no mistakes are made, which takes a lot of time.

Thanks for your help

Best wishes from near Basel

Michael

I now see that you have asked this question (and been answered) over at @Gerald_Schrader’s original thread.

Follow the steps you have already documented:

Very interesting topic!
I am thinking to move my music files inside my nucleus on a 2.5 ssd. Currently, music files are on a NAS. What are the concrete advantage doing that move? (I am having a hard time understanding if it is worth it.)

Adding on to this question…

I’m a total newbie to digital music, but I’ve been avidly reading this community trying to understand all the pieces to design a home digital music system using Roon. So, I apologize in advance if asking obvious questions.

If you have a substantial CD collection, wouldn’t it be an advantage to have it ripped to a NAS/HHD in order to leverage RAID in case of disk failure instead of the one SSD installed in a Nucleus?

If you have a NAS and a Nucleus with an internal SSD, would it make sense to have your digital music on the NAS and have any Roon metadata on the Nucleus internal SSD? I’m assuming the Roon metadata can be backed up from the internal SSD to the NAS, right??

1 Like

Um - RAID is not backup… RAID is a method of keeping a service going (in this case delivery of files) in the event of a disc failure. By all means use a NAS as a backup of your music files stored on an internal drive. But don’t think that having a NAS in place of an internal drive means that you don’t need to have a backup solution in place for the NAS…

2 Likes

This is basically what happens when Roon digests your library. It reads all the information it needs to identify the music and puts it into a database on the core. The metadata of the source files stay at the source (they aren’t physically moved away from the music). In a Nucleus or ROCK system, that database is on a SSD drive that is only used for the OS and the database. That makes it quick.

You need two backups. The first backup is the music itself. The other backup is the Roon database on the Nucleus SSD. A NAS is perfect for these backup functions.

I agree, a NAS is a good idea, but you still need a backup. I have a 3TB library of files for Roon. I have a 4TB SSD drive in the Nucleus, I have a NAS, and then I have two external drives connected to the NAS for backups. I also have another backup copy on a portable drive that I keep off-site and bring home every month or so to update.

The NAS is where I load any new files or make any changes. I then use a cloning software to sync the files from the NAS to the Nucleus, this way the Nucleus has a mirror of what is on the NAS. Then I have backups running on the NAS to the external drives so I can keep historical snapshots of what was on the NAS at any point in time if a file gets accidentally changed, deleted or corrupted. Or if the NAS itself has a major failure that also corrupts its drives. And then I have the copy off-site if something really crazy happens…

2 Likes

@Geoff_Coupe several years later is this still the case? - I am able to buy a 1TB 870 EVO for the same price (£5 more) as a 1TB 870 QVO and am tempted to give myself a little more storage.

If the price difference is small, then why not go for the EVO model?

Thanks @Geoff_Coupe that’s what I figured, though I just wanted to be sure

Hello, I’ve just had my 2nd external hard drive failure. I have the original Roon Nucleus ( purchased in 2018 ( I think). I’d appreciate a recommendation for an 4TB external hard drive. Prefer a external drive, so I can take my large music collection with me if need be ( already lost one home to fire ). Thanks for your help. Larry

@Larry_Slater hopefully Danny will answer your question, in case it’s helpful I’ll also reply.

Samsung SSDs are highly rated by most people.

For internal drives for media storage the QVO option has been recommended by roon previously as its lifetime limitations aren’t relevant for media storage, and they are less expensive.

For an external drive there is a 4TB Samsung T7 USB drive. I’ve had good experiences with the T5s and T7s I’ve used.

Of course any drive may fail - so you should make sure you have a backup (and ideally another offsite)

Personally I keep my ‘master’ media content on another machine - and replicate it onto the internal drive of my ROCK. I also back this master drive up to two locations. One of them is offsite.

I have another copy replicated to a T7 for when I want to take a laptop and have full access to my library.