SSD for the Nucleus and how to rip CDs for it

Hi @TheraP, I think if your looking to run Roon and only in one zone and rip CDs with the minimum of stress and setup then perhaps going for the Innuos Zen Mini would be more beneficial as it comes all ready with music storage and is a lot less than a Nucleus.

@TheraP, +1 for the Innous, for you specifically.
Simplicity and ease of use, in an all encompassing package that will automatically rip your CDs.

The web site -
http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zenmini-mk3-1tb-hdd

Hereā€™s a review -

Um - the Innuos as a Roon Bridge - fine; but I personally would be hesitant about using it as a Roon Core for all but a small library. It uses an Intel Pentium N4200, whilst Roon Labs recommend the much faster Intel Core i3 as a minimum requirementā€¦

@TheraP note that if you trial roon on your Surface notebook, the Windows version of roon does not have the CD ripping feature. You would need to use dbPoweramp or something. The CD ripping feature is only found in the roon ROCK version that runs on the Nucleus or a DIY NUC type computer, if Iā€™m not mistaken.

2 Likes

I agree and have gotten flack for saying the same thing.

However, I think it fits perfectly this particular use case.
In additional to everything else, the OP might even like the built-in DAC.

If the OP finds it isnā€™t enough, then she can use it as an auto-ripping endpoint and use something like this for Core -

https://www.amazon.com/NUC7i5BNH-Dual-Core-i5-7260U-Bluetooth-Thunderbolt/dp/B073SF785X/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=i5%2Bnuc&qid=1578840068&sr=8-4&th=1

You are correct @SKBubba and thank you for pointing that out. As I read back through the posts it seems that point was not emphasized. For ripping with Roon you do need their operating system running on the NUC/ROCK (DIY build) or the Nucleus/Nucleus +.

This is a reply for more than Slim.

I have read the above comments. I have in the past read about the Innuos products. But I donā€™t find a way to purchase them locally anymore. And I have a feeling, especially as two of you bare now agreed of the Zen Miniā€™s issues & Slim now suggests another machine might also be necessary, that this would be more complicated than I can handle. Alone.

Again, simplicity is necessary. Vital! (Simplicity is, in my case, way more important than cost. Cost matters of course. But I simply cannot envision hooking up lots of machines with lots of cables.) My space is limited as well.

Iā€™d love something that is all-inclusive. But not sure how to do this.

Possibilities:

A. I know I can order the Nucleus from Amazon. (SSD could be installed if I call local technician who installed the upgraded MacIntosh DAC module. Which solves problem of storage.) But not problem of CD ripping. (Unless I bite the bullet and ship the CDs somewhere for ripping/tagging - Especially for classical.)

OR:

B. Would Innuos, if I can find a way to get one over the net, be better in a higher end one of their products? (Given the problems possibly with speed of the Intel Core.)

I have read that they will have an Ap of their own for cataloging which might help me with the CD ripping/tagging. (Anybody know about that promised Innuos in-house Ap?)

Iā€™ve read excellent reviews of the Innuos products. Would one of their higher end products solve the concerns with Zen-mini?

Think SIMPLICITY + the aging Luddite User.

I trust you guys! I can see youā€™re concerned about me not being ripped off by a dealer. And many of you ā€œgetā€ the particular issues involved here. Small space. Fantastic Receiver - waiting for itā€™s dance partner. CDs sitting unzipped, untagged - but patient.

(I can in the meanwhile still test the wonders of Roon using the Surface Laptop connected to MacIntosh once I fix one thing:

Till now I stupidly had only connected wirelessly to the router. Common sense prevailed. So I ordered longer Ethernet cable, stupidly forgetting to also order Ethernet to USB adapter.

I can never express my gratitude for the help of so many!

If Iā€™m not mistaken, the Nucleus has the ripping feature built in. You would just need a ~$25 USB CD drive.

1 Like

Even their high end products use the same CPU.

I think that with only one endpoint, 800 albums and no upsampling, then the Innous is great for you.
Many people use Innous for Roon Core.
It also has a built-in DAC.

If it isnā€™t enough for Core, you can still use it to rip and buy another computer to run Core.
Youā€™ll still be well within your $5000 budget.

Buy it at the website I linked to

The Innous is as simple as it gets, which is why I recommend in your case, no offense. :sunglasses:

Iā€™m not familiar with Innous products but it appears from what I just read that it does take some setup to install Roon. Looks easy enough but it is another step in the process.

It may be a tossup. Installing the software in the Innous vs installing the SSD in the Nucleus.

Iā€™d probably go with the Nucleus, Roonā€™s hardware and software but canā€™t say for sure.

Dear Slim:

It would be hard to offend me. I know Iā€™m aging. I am honest about my Luddite Status. And ā€œas simple as it getsā€ sounds like Music to my Ears.

I see that the website in England possibly ships to the US. But maybe Iā€™ll phone one of their dealers in the US in a nearby state - to see if I can get it shipped from them.

Sounds to me like going with the basic Zen will be perfect for ripping the CDs at a minimum. Not sure if it makes sense to let it use its own DAC if I likely have a better one in the MacIntosh.

No specific budget here. That may have been the guy who started the initial thread I joined (and have now been somewhat separated from).

Upsampling? I think the Macintosh does that (up to 528 with the new upgraded DAC module).

ā€œIf it isnā€™t enough for Coreā€¦ā€ (how would know that?)

So Iā€™m still maybe in need of the Nucleus or Nucleus +. Using the Zen Mini as a ripping (and maybe storage) point.

Though as for storage, it would seem easier to me to transfer the stored info into the Nucleus.

Iā€™m now reading Mike:

Which strengthens my own sense here that getting the Roon hardware and software together (i.e. Nucleus) is my best bet as a Server (with SSD installed in it via local technician).

But using Innuous as a way to rip the CDs, tag and store till I move the stored library to the Roon storage. Without worrying about installing Roon into the Zen machine.

While more expensive, doing it with two separated machines (for specific uses) gives me, if Iā€™m correct, very simple steps in two separate processes:

A. I can listen to streamed music with the Nucleus attached to my DAC.

B. While slowly, bit by bit ripping and tagging the CD music.

How does that sound?

Hello, Mike!

I saw your comment as I was finishing the one to Slim.

And it did help me think of how to do this - even if getting the Zen in addition to the Nucleus. Even though more costly, even though a bit of overkill, it would separate the tasks. And seems more doable to me.

1. Use the Zen to rip/tag/store for starters.

2. Use the Nucleus as the Server - since itā€™s already set up with Roon inside. With the local technician installing the hard drive. And then transferring the info to the Roon machine.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s what I was referring to.

How are you going to connect to your MacINtosh? If you use RCA input , then you will be using the Innousā€™s DAC and then the Macā€™s DAC. That wouldnā€™t be good.

The Innous has built in storage. Thatā€™s the point.

If your considering the Zen, check out this page: Innuos Installing Roon.

1 Like

To Slim (sorry I thought it was earmarked to youā€¦Grrr.)

MacIntosh connection. It has a USB AUDIO input. Itā€™s a strange shape, something between a circle and square. Part is circular. Part is square. (At one end that fits into the MacIntosh) And the other end is a USB3 (from the Surface Laptop - or could be from the Nucleus).

Not RCA. (Whatever that is, itā€™s not the one place I plug in. Which is in the DAC module.)

Innuous has the built-in storage. I get that. But weā€™re not sure about the processor, right? Two of you agreed about that potential problem.

So Iā€™m thinking to use the Innuous as my ripper and temporary storage. But there would be no necessity to go through a Roon installation. IF I get the Nucleus whose sole job is to be Roon.

Now David is weighing in. So Iā€™ll post this and check out his link.

This sounds like more than I want to bite off.

Unless I just use the Zen for CD ripping. And then let Nucleus be my server and storage.

I can afford 2 machines. But I canā€™t get a younger brain!

OK, USB out from the Innous and into the MacIntosh. Youā€™re good to go.

If you want a Nucleus, there is no reason to get more storage for it if you have the Zen.
Use the Zen to rip to its internal storage and leave it there.
I donā€™t think you need it, but use the Nucleus to run Roon Core instead of the Zen.

That was a good article that @David_Gibson pointed you to, but it isnā€™t saying any more than what weā€™ve said here.

Itā€™s your choice, of course, but personally, I would keep it simple: just get the Nucleus , add a USB CD drive for ripping, and a USB external drive for storage. Just plug them into the Nucleus, and away you go.

1 Like

Yes, this does sound simpler. (Except 3 pieces together. But the Nucleus sounds way simpler.)

Do you have any good advice as to what CD ripper as the one I have is a clamshell and the CD needs to be pressed down in order to close the lid. Which I fear is not good for the CD itself.

I donā€™t think you need to be too worried about having a drive that requires the CD to be pushed onto a central spindle; a lot of portable drives are this type.

And itā€™s not as if you are doing this over and over again with the same CDā€¦