Stability issues with Roon Core 2.0 Roon Bridge 1.8 (RoPieee)

Roon Core Machine

SuperMicro embedded ITX mb with Intel(R) Atom™ CPU C3758 @ 2.20GHz, 32 GB ECC memory and 12+ TB RaidZ2 storage

OS TrueNAS 13.0/FreeBSD with System76 Pop_OS (Ubuntu Jammy based) in a VM for Roon Core

Roon Controller iPad Mini5 running Controller 2.0

Roon Ark Offline mode set. Roon Ark now deleted.

iX Systems offers TrueNAS Core and Enterprise on FreeBSD and Scale on Linux for cluster file service to Linux clusters

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquity UniFi DreamMachine Pro, Switch-8-150 Core switch, Switch-8-50 rack switches Core and Bridges are all on Cat5 Ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

2 HiFiBerry Digi+ transport on Raspberry Pi 4B
1 Allo Digital DigiOne Signature on Raspberry Pi 4B

Core Settings About reports all Roon Bridges as version 1.8 software

Number of Tracks in Library

48000 tracks, about 600 titles local

Description of Issue

Roon Core and Roon Remote loses connection. Playback stalls. Play queue empties. Gets progressively worse as core runs. Rebooting Core appears to heal Core for a bit.

Hypothesis: Mixing Roon 2.0 Core with Roon 1.8 endpoints is bad joss

In reviewing RaspberryPi software, no provider is identifying the version of Bridge that is running. Roon About shows versions in use.

All nodes used regularly are running RoPieee XL RoPieeeXL 2023.02 (0745)
Tivoli is using HiFiBerry 20230223 which picks the proper hat driver automatically

Some interesting things: .NET is available for FreeBSD (TrueNAS Core OS). FreeBSD supports the Linux ABI. Administrative procedures to configure Roon Core as a service are different in FreeBSD.

Well, it is a hypothesis, but I don’t think it is necessarily the cause of your issue. I’ve been using version 1.8 of Roon Bridge on RoPieee with a Roon 2.0 Core on my ROCK/NUC for months now without any ill-effects.

2 Likes

I assume that the core has been working for time time and that the problems you’re experiencing are recent? However I’m not able to find any Roon recommendation for the Atom CPU to be used as a core (Even though it’s highly specified) which would mean it’s unsupported. That said, we would like to see your system running fault free.

1 Like

Have to agree with others. Only issue I have ever had with roopiee/bridge 1.8 and roon 2.0 is when I used an under powered ps with a pi endpoint.

My recollection is that Roon ran better on Sherman, SuperMicro X11 motherboard with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz and 32 GB ECC.

Operation took a turn for the worse following Roon 2 installation. I’m surprised to see that Roon Bridge is not also at Version 2. Is this the doing of Allo and RoPieee? We’re kind of stuck as drivers for the audio hats are closely held as is RAAT source. I can’t compile my own custom kernels.

Peabody has trapped and reported a couple of machine malfunctions. I need to look into these with iX Systems as the beast is still pretty young.

Roon Bridge 1.8 (Build 1125) is the latest version. No features of Roon 2.0 required the creation of a newer version of Bridge (I’m assuming).

1 Like

Looking into things further, POP_OS was swapping out Roon Core for reasons not obvious. Roon would revive by opening the VM VNC window and rapping on the keyboard a few times to get Linux attention. Suddenly Roon things would start happening for a while.

Current configuration summary:

• Roon core on an M1 iMac in the regular primary user account
  • Roon launch on login enabled
  • Roon Database in iMac ~/Library way down yonder
  • Roon media on Roon Music external USB SSD
  • Roon database backups on Roon Music external USB SSD

Issues
The following issues are identified

• Roon is running in user land as a regular UI process, I much prefer Roon as a network service with Mac Roon Remote run as needed.
  • Letting MacOS sleep the logged in user brings crickets. Whatever is playing stops until UI is revived and play Poked again, well with active controller on the iMac.

I don’t think Roon Bridge changes much, if at all. In another thread, we unearthed old text from Danny that says much of the Roon Bridge functionality is downloaded to it from the Core at run time (or possibly discovery time).

I assume “Roon Ark” is “Roon ARC”?

You say that POP_OS was swapping out Roon Core. But you also say that

So the VM (what VM machinery is being used? Docker? VirtualBox? VMware?) was swapping out the Core process, which was what it was all about? It sounds like the VM may need to be allocated more memory. Why run POP_OS instead of vanilla Ubuntu Server?

Yep, too many moving parts. Ubuntu Server might be a better choice but have not been keeping up. BHYVE was available in TrueNAS Core. Server would be better but I’m a modeling and sim folk who used Linux in his day job and not a professional admin. After 10 years away from driving Unix, my shell skills and command memory are pretty gone and never worked with any of the VM kit.

After getting the ROCK going, I discovered some of my il-behaved IOT children were shouting for attention so I ended up moving the NUC network connection to the router switch. Now, life is good. Media is on a Crucial SSD at the moment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.