Start Roon Server as service with OS X

(Chris Passon) #1

Hi,
Looking into the documentation and browsing the faq and the forum, I only find the possibility to start Roon Server when a user is logged in.
For Linux there seems to be the possibility to have Roon Server running in the „background“ as it can be configured and started as a service via launchd.
Why is this not also possible under OS X. Are the requirements for background service so much different under Linux and OS X?

Or is there a way to get Roon Server started as a service on OS X?

Greetings,
Christoph

(Bart Verhoeven) #2

They are totally different beasts and have pretty much nothing in common. So yes, it’s different :slight_smile: In fact, even within Linux there all sorts of ways to skin this cat.

You can download Roon Server instead of Roon. This is a strictly non-GUI version that can run in the background. If it wouldn’t already start automatically when you start your mac, you could try adding it as a Login Item under Settings Preferences > Users & Groups.

(Chris Passon) #3

Hi Nepherte,

Well from what is described on https://kb.roonlabs.com/Software_packages, the ROON package consists all three, control, core and output, whereas ROON Server only lacks the control part.
So since I have the ROON package already installed I would like to have the control part available when I log in on my iMac but I‘d like to have the core and output to be running in background so I could just start listening to music when I grab my iPad sitting on my sofa.

At the moment I have to first login at my iMac before I can start listening to music controlling ROON via my iPad, sitting on my sofa.

So my question still is open on what I have to do to get the core and output part being started in the background and not having to log on.

Greetings,

Christoph

(Bart Verhoeven) #4

With Roon when you close the GUI it will close the Core, while Roon Server is meant to run in headless environments without the need for a GUI to be open at all times. If you still like the option to have a GUI as well, you can install both. Roon would then only act as a remote control.

(Chris Passon) #5

Thanx,

gonna try it that way.

Cheers,

Christoph

(Chris Passon) #6

Hi Bart,

I just tested it and it does not work that way.
The roon server also only starts when I log on.

I found the documentation and there it also is described that on the Mac even roon server is only running when logged in. That’s a bummer! Guess I will stay with the full ROON package on my mac and have a look what Linux hardware is sufficient to run headless ROON.

Greetings,

Chris

(Bart Verhoeven) #7

Some Googling reveals that you can also run scripts when your mac starts, as opposed to when a user logs in: https://medium.com/@fahimhossain_16989/adding-startup-scripts-to-launch-daemon-on-mac-os-x-sierra-10-12-6-7e0318c74de1

I haven’t tried it out but it seems promising. The only thing that concerns me is under what user Roon would be running.

Perhaps other people can chime in here.