Starting from scratch, how would you incorporate HQP?

For those of you who use HQP, if you had a blank canvas and a decent enough budget what would you buy to add HQP to an existing DAC → amplification system ?

.sjb

You first have to define your goal (which also depends on your dac capabilities).
Would you like to upsample PCM → PCM, or PCM → DSD (256 - 512 - 1024)
Would you prefer a passive-cooled server with thd dac connected to it, or would you prefer working with NAA connecting to the dac, so a noisier server can be used?
Do you have a lan network capable of 1Gbps or higher?
Do you want your server to run on Linux (HQPlayerEmbedded) or Windows or MacOS?

1 Like

Would you like to upsample PCM → PCM, or PCM → DSD (256 - 512 - 1024)

Currently PCM → PCM but wouldn’t like to rule out PCM → DSD 512

Would you prefer a passive-cooled server with thd dac connected to it, or would you prefer working with NAA connecting to the dac, so a noisier server can be used?

I’d use an NAA

Do you have a lan network capable of 1Gbps or higher?

Yes

Do you want your server to run on Linux (HQPlayerEmbedded) or Windows or MacOS?

Most likely windows which I’m used to but would also consider MacOS if that provided a better implementation.

.sjb

Haalo.

If one has money to burn…
13 or 14th gen with highest affordable gpu and minimum 32gb ram if you have aspirations of highest dsd rate and dac in tow or just future proofing.

Any NAA shall do from pi to Upboard or Red.

Windows is fine if it is ahead of a dac with galvanic isolation in conjunction with NAA.

This is what I did earlier this year:

Bought a desktop PC dedidacted to roon/HQPlayer.
Basic components :
Intel Core i9-13900K
32GB memory DDR5 (D532GB 6400-32 Trident Z5)
SSD NVME 500GB Samsung 980 PRO OS + applications disk

I have NO graphics card on board, except the internal one of the i9-13900K processor
I choose to run with Audio-Linux, but Windows 10 or 11 will work just as well.

As NAA I choose for HOLO RED (using Jussi’s NAA image) . Expensive for an NAA, as an Raspberry PI4 can do the job, but the quality of the Holo RED is fantastic (both technically as musically)
Unfortunately, they are out of stock right now and it seems it will take some time before they are available again (maybe new model is coming with PI5 ???)

I have a T+A 200 dac, supporting up to DSD1024, but I don’t go that far, I limit myself to upsampling to DSD512.

With this configuration (again without GPU, so I am not using CUDA offload) , my system can handle easily all modulators with most of the available filters.
I did not test all filters, but the one not working at all is SINC-Long. Sinc-Medium is working but I did not like the sound, so I did not test thoroughly.

Related to the processor, the max. frequency is much more important than the actual number of processors. In fact, half of the processors in my I9 13900K are not being used at all even when running heavier filters and modulators. 2 processors are used for about 55% (caused by the modulators as explained by Jussi some where on this or Audiophile Style forum) .
The other processors are loaded only about 30%.

4 Likes

One last update, corection:

I have just been comparing the sinc-long filter against polysinc-gauss-long
PCM 48 kHz/24bit —> DSD512
Modulator ASDM7EC-super 512+fs

So my server does run sinc-long upto DSD512 without CUDA support

1 Like

My experience was somewhat “from scratch”.

I strongly echo @Dirk_De_Taey - the choice of strategy would drive the whole build.

My final strategy remains as maximum possible 2 channel performance* of HQP (including convolution) at reasonable cost (I think I have achieved exactly that…)

As the result - NAA architecture with dedicated Linux HQPlayer Embedded Server (32GB+13900KS+RTX4090) in a storage room + all necessary infrastructure for that.

*definition of performance would be playback and upsampling of all sources up to PCM192/24 and DSD256 to DSD@1024x48 playback with top modulators (7EC group, like 7ECv2, 7ECv3, etc…) and pretty much all filters.

Some may disagree because it is really “relative” but this “from the scratch” investment can actually be very reasonable. I could save on the fact that I can build PC myself, thus plunging in second hand market for some spares saved $$$

I preferred a similar configuration. This has changed with the new AHM7EC5L modulator. Try it out. Much better bass, more accurate instrument localization and better space.

The filter sinc-long with DSD1024 and Convolution runs flawlessly. My CPU i9-13900K runs without CUDA. But with a high computing load.