Still Having Problems with RoPieee update

Am I going mad is back :face_with_head_bandage:

This is for Harry. My RPi4b was playing well yesterday. Left it on, went to bed and in the morning the red light was on with intermitent green and of course no Roon connection.

So I reflashed, the “no NTP” showed but https gave internet connection. Loaded OK, connected and played, all set up with Roon. Tried to have a look at the interface but it didn’t connect. Went to have a look and there was the red light and green intermittent. I left it for a while and out of curiosity I tried to login to the interface (the Rpi is in another room), and it was working again.

Turned on Roon, and yes it was there. Played for about 10 minutes, then … Red light, flashing green and not Roon connection!

Please help. Everything was great until the last update to 24.2.1 or the patch.

Cheers, John

Could a VPN have anything to do with it?

The Roon connection keeps coming and going. Weird

Perhaps Ropieee needs a time server addition, like LibreELEC. time.google.org?

The time server is already there …. otherwise what would be the point of setting the time zone?

Mate I know that! I’;ve been setting up RoPieee for years. And for your information, that has nothing to do with NTP.

I’m waiting for Harry.

There’s nothing wrong with the NTP setup. It uses a pool.

The fact that NTP isn’t working in your setup doesn’t mean there’s a problem: it simply falls back to using HTTP for getting the time, as it shows you on the screen.

In general to me this sounds like a networking issue: for some reason the connection get’s lost.
I saw your remark about VPN’s: that could be an issue, yes.

Here’s my take on figuring out what’s going on:

• make sure you’re on wired connection
  • try to make your network setup as simple as possible
  • disable all other services
  • enable daily auto-reboot

So the next time you loose connection, don’t reboot the unit manually. Let it auto-reboot and see if the connection comes back up again. If so, send me feedback. Maybe we’re able to get the moment where it looses connection.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Harry, many thanks for the reply.

The connection is wired from the RPi to the PC running Roon via a switch and no other services are used by Ropieee. I have enabled daily auto reboot and it seems to be ok since I turned the VPN off. I suspect the latter was causing issues even though the VPN was on the PC, not the modem for internet updating.

Anyway, last night it auto-rebooted and green light is OK. If there are further problems I’ll report back.

Cheers, John

1 Like

Hi Harry, I’m back again :frowning:

I have the RPi4 on 24/7 and set to reboot every day at 3am. The latest update was downloaded and I installed it successfully. However, since then it has spent more time with the red light on and the green light in search/unconnected mode than the Roon connected slow green only flashing.

My PC is on
all day but doesn’t seem to make any difference, on or off.

Any ideas?

Cheers, John

Can you reboot your unit (from the advanced tab) and send me feedback?

It’s been red and no green plus all day so far. I’ll reboot when it’s on green.

I updated Roon today with its latest by the way.

That it has no green, only red, should I assume Ropieee is not booting at all?

The green led should be flickering. If that’s not the case the unit is not booting.

Should I reflash again?

Looked again - there is a green light. This is most perplexing. I’ll leave it in the hope the red light goes.

But can you reach the webinterface? Because then you can send me feedback.

I’ve rebooted the PC; turned off the RPi4 for a while and switched back on. The green light is flashing twice looking but no reboot.

Again, can you reach RoPieee’s webinterface?

No Ropieee to interface with. It won’t load, nada, it is dead.

Should I reflash or: is it a bad SSD (althought it was working 2 days ago) or RPi4 or network or god knows. Being in the Philippines is making me wonder if there is something going on. I need to use my VPN all the time as I can’t get certain UK websites. Or I’ll just go back to cds - lot less hassle :grinning:

Yeah if it does not even boot up something is seriously wrong.

OK, I’ll do it tomorrow, getting late here. Sorry for all this hassle, John

Hi Harry, it is definately my local ISP that is having issue downloading from your locale. The secondary DNS is constantly failing. I have to use a VPN to connect to several sites in the UK. When I tried to download 24.3.0 the speed was virtually nil. With the VPN set to London, it was a couple of seconds. Express VPN doesn’t allow a setup with my modem (TPLink) anymore.

So, is it possible to turn off the internet connection? PC direct to RPi4 is not really possible.

If not I guess I need to get a VPN friendly router.