Strange Audio Issues w/ Ventura [Roon Investigating; Known Apple Issues w/ Ventura System Audio]

@connor
Running out of days here but to eliminate variables I’m moving my core to a dedicated NUC with a clean install of Ubuntu Server 22.04.

UPDATE1:
New Core, same error.

02/22 15:21:17 Trace: [iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio ] [raatclient] GOT [6] {"message":"RAAT__OUTPUT_PLUGIN_STATUS_DEVICE_INIT_FAILED","status":"DeviceInitFailed"}
02/22 15:21:17 Trace: [iMac iFi] [zoneplayer/raat] device init failed. stopping stream
02/22 15:21:17 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream -> endpoint] All streams were disposed
02/22 15:21:17 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream] All streams were disposed
02/22 15:21:17 Info: sleep 0ms after flush
02/22 15:21:17 Warn: [zone iMac iFi] Track Stopped Due to DeviceInitFailed

UPDATE2:
After countless “failed to initialize the audio device” messages, and not being able to play anything at all, I’ve deleted these 2 folders:
~/Library/Caches/com.roonlabs.raat
~/Library/RAATServer

Playback has resumed.

UPDATE3:
After exiting and reopening Roon, playback repeatedly fails with the same error as above. After deleting the above folders, opening Roon, and enabling the iFi device playback immediately works.

I will continue to update this post.

My trial has ended without a resolution. First stated experiencing this issue on 12/5/2022.

Hey, my usb dac is back today! I did reset coreaudio, but much of the time that makes no difference. Running Ventura 13.2.1. We’ll see how long this lasts.

1 Like

How’s it going?!

Funny you should ask, I was just thinking about digging up this thread and seeing how it was going for anyone else!

Status quo for me - most of the time my dac is not recognized in any form, killall core audiod has no effect, and so I use a WiiM Pro. About once a month, maybe once every two weeks at most, and for no discernible reason, I’ll get a popup message from the OS asking me to approve a USB device (specifically my dac), approve it, and use it for a listening session. But most of the time, no luck. I realized yesterday I haven’t updated to 13.3.1, but I don’t have much hope that will change anything - no OS update has helped me up to this point. Dragonfly black works without a problem, maybe it’s Schiit’s usb implementation? I haven’t upgraded the USB card in my Gungnir, I know they’ve made some changes over the years.

Thanks for checking in! Still open to other suggestions, but not holding out a lot of hope, and don’t really want to replace my dac. The WiiM pro via coax into the dac seems like a good workaround. Cheers!

1 Like

While I’m updating, tonight I plugged in the dac and nothing. However, with Roon remote open, unplugged it, reset coreaudio d, plugged it back in and there it was. No permissions asked for, but I did fiddle with the USB device settings in System Settings>Privacy&Security>Allow accessories to connect so maybe that’s why no permission request. And I am running 13.3.1 now, current version.

Different result every day!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.