Streacom FC8 Fanlees ROCK build!

Well after some fiddling around with Windows 11 permissions to get it to recognize the ROCK it is up and running. Very happy with it so far. Was very surprised at how fast it loads from a ROON remote. I built it in a Streacom FC8 Fanless case.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, WD Black 1 TB M2 drive, 16 GB of Ram because it was on sale same as 8GB. ASRock B550 Motherboard.

Completely silent, and no moving parts. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’ve used the FC8 as my desktop PC for about 5 years. It works great. I’m a little confused about your setup though. You installed Rock on top of Windows 11? I thought Rock would reformat the hard drive. How does that work?

Hi @David_Erb

Welcome to the Roon family.

Nice Core.

Now come join us in the music threads. There’s plenty to chose from.

My favourite is Let's talk about what's Moving and Grooving you today [2023-03]

2 Likes

Nice deeds! Streacom makes some really nice chassis.
But, i moved your topic to the Tinkering section, since you seem to be running ROCK on an AMD platform. (ROCK is only officially supported on a select bunch of NUC’s)

I assume your fiddling with windows was to gain access to the share or gui of your MOCK (as they are commonly referred to)?

1 Like

No I needed Windows to recognize the Rock on the network so I could add the missing codecs to its data drive. Seperate computer.

That is correct. Needed Windows to find the Rock on the network so I could put the codec file on its data drive.

1 Like

I know Room states only Intel products but any system that supports Linux will work with Rock

Um - this is not necessarily so. If Roon OS does not have the necessary drivers for chipsets used in the system, then it won’t work…

Hey Geoff. This is going into an area I am not overly familiar with. My understanding is ROCK is a Linux software program so will work in any Linux environment. Linux architecture is what interfaces with the hardware as the operating system? It seems to work excellent thank goodness. Might be worth an inquiry to Roon Labs. Thank you for the heads up.

I guess if it stops working with future updates I will have to replace the guts with a NUC. I want to stay fan less and with a quick look ROON does not support any fan less NUCs. :frowning_face:

Roon Labs do not use one of the (many) Linux distributions. They have built Roon OS from the ground up using Linux code. It is an OS that is tightly designed for the Intel NUC models only. If it works on other NUC-like systems, then you have what is known as a MOCK system around these parts, but it would be AYOR, and not supported by Roon Labs.

The only officially supported fanless NUCs are Roon Labs own Nucleus models. However, plenty of us (myself included) have taken the motherboards out of Intel NUCs and transplanted them into fanless cases (usually Akasa-branded cases). Once again, these transplanted systems are not officially supported, but so far we’ve not run into any issues…

3 Likes

Geoff has already responded, but i’ll comment anyways:
ROCK is an acronym of Roon OS with it’s preinstalled Roon Server component.
So ROCK includes the environment (Roon OS) and the music server software (Roon Server).

And, don’t worry about the support part, Roon folk still support the software as such. Should it stop working in the future, worry about it then.

2 Likes

Nice, dude!

I built a similar machine, but with an HDPlex chassis and HDPlex linear PSU.

I would suggest looking at getting a Fibre Optic Network card as well. That way, in addition to not having any moving parts like fans, servos/motors of mechanical disks etc. you can add electrical isolation from your network as well.
Throw in a fanless switch with an SFP Port, and you should be good to go.

2 Likes

Good idea! I will have a look at that.

1 Like

Gotcha. That makes more sense.

FWIW, this is my build log and component list: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/WQYH99

I didn’t go ROCK, but Debian Linux as I prefer having control of the OS more directly, from patching to software bill of materials control, from storage config.(mdadm & zfs RAID) to custom kernels.

1 Like

Very nice!

I used a Streacom FC 5 case, ASrock Z690M-itx, Core i5 12400, 8gb
ram, 500gb m.1 for OS, 1tb m.1 for FLAC files, and two 4tb SSD’s for network file storage. Running Windows 11 pro and Roon server. I have had no practical problems running Windows based Roon servers so I saw no need to learn about Linux. It looks great sitting in the rack of my main system and removes the need for my Rpi streamer that was feeding my preamp. Now I connect direct via usb in my main system. Other players in the house have built in stream ability.

It’s shown being tested, sitting on the sub for my desktop DAW monitor system. The PC next to it got retired in favor of a laptop dock, hence the 8tb of network storage.

3 Likes