Stream Roon on a Raspberry Pi Zero

I’m burning an image right now.
I have registered with the link you provided and didn’t charge anything nor mentioned anything about trial period which is sweet.

At this point I have nothing more to lose and Max2Play is something I have not tried yet so there is a glimpse of hope…

Thank you so much once again. Your help has been precious.

I am glad if I can help you.
Like that, I am also forced to test new features, by myself. :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you once again I really appreciate what you do…
What I see is that Max2Play is based on Raspbian so I’ll be able to use the shutdown script too!

There is also a plugin for that, I suppose.

1 Like

Well dear Aldos I’m getting close… :slight_smile :slight_smile:
I’ve set Max2play and works both as Roon streamer and Spotify-Connect client.
My only problem is the output. I can’t get it to increase the volume of my USB DAC.

Next thing is to try to install the shutdown script!

Can you be more explicit, regarding volume increase?

1 Like

The initial volume when playing starts both for Roon and Spotify is low and I’m forced to crank the speaker’s volume up, which is not ideal.

With PiCoreolayer I could bring up alsmixer set it to PCM 95% and then do an “alsactl store” to save the setting. Here there is no slsamixer setting despite I installed alsa-utils.

Alsamixer is installed by default.
Depends if your DAC has hardware volume control or not to can set volume by alsa…
Have you set the DAC properly in Raspberry Settings page?
You have to choose USB sound card to install it and reboot.
When choose the DAC, usually it also provides guidance to set volume.

1 Like

My DAC is a simple USB-C DAC so there’s no hw volume control.I have set everything in the Raspberry Settings page otherwise it wouldn’t work at all. There’s no way to increase the volume. Played around with the command line parameters (-U, -Q, PCM set 96% etc)but makes no difference.

I think I will order a Justboom DAC to complete the project. At this point it’s certain the end result will be satisfactory. My only question is what will happen after the 3-month trial. I experimentally disabled the license and the Connect client still works. However in order to install the Justboom set plugin it requires a license. I haven’t got how exactly that silencing thingy works with their product. :- :roll_eyes:

On another note, I also installed a shutdown script but will have to remove it when I put the Justboom HAT on as it will conflict with its GPIO pins. I will have to incorporate Pimoroni’s ON/OFF shim but since I have a couple of them handy already, that won’t be a problem!

Max2Play is ok, but you have to pay the license after the trial. Otherwise, you cannot use it properly. You can find answers about volume control maybe in their forums. For shutdown script, you can change the GPIO pins in the script to no be the ones used by Justboom. OnOff shim is a better choice because does not need script and also cutoff the power after shutdown.

1 Like

I ordered the HAT so I’m not going to waste any time trying to setup a generic USB DAC.

I’ve still to figure how the absence of license limits the overall usability of Max2Play since I’m now using it in a ‘‘not-activated’’ state and everything seems to be working fine.

Hi @gtj. How is working your setup?

1 Like

Thanks for your ibnterest.

I have successfully set up Max2play with the Spotify Connect client and for the time being everything seems to be working fine.

The makeshift streamer works both with Roon and Spotify Connect. On top of that, there was a bug with the official Max2play image and their developer got to fix it for anyone having similar demands like me.

Nice setup !
I am glad to see it is working as expected.
Best regards !

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.