Studio monitors for home listening

I used a Solid State Relay triggered using USBon/USBoff function in Lumin’s options settings and this was housed in a 2 socket mains plate/plug box. If none of this makes sense then I really cant help much more than that. I built it myself - its not something I can point you to on the web as a product sorry.

I use audio energy ae1 for near field and home listening in my second system.
Great powered speakers with fantastich SQ

1 Like

I’ve been using Dutch & Dutch 8c speakers for about two months. From what I read online, these have quite a following as studio monitors, and they make wonderful hi-fi speakers at home. The simplicity of setup is a huge plus.

1 Like

Beautiful speakers. I’d love a pair but beyond my price range unfortunately. I see they do a version aimed at studio use, which seem essentially the same.

Yes… I’ve used Genelec 8020b in a small room for listening as well as (amateur) recording/mixing/mastering. Currently using LS3/5 driven by Naim NAIT XS2 in the same room. System in the living room has Rogers Studio 1a driven by NAIT 5. They are all ‘studio monitors’, or closely related. I would happily live with the Genelecs. If the extra octave or so at the bottom end is important to you, the appropriate Genelec sub would fit the bill. I’ve never felt the need. The Genelecs, or similar active monitors, are very adaptable to different room constraints, rather than having to adapt your room to suit the speakers - it’s not always practicable if you actually have to live in the room too!

1 Like

I started to like studio monitors long time ago. Yes they are precise and analytic and neutral. Some people find them too cold for this reason. But it’s a big way up on the audio ladder for me compared to the typical high-end hifi. Otherwise, for that same transparency, I would have had to spend tons of money on the rest of the system.
So I am very happy with my Yamaha ns1000’s. They are not the good old ones any more because I did some serious tweaking on the worn out crossovers. They still have the same response and neutral sound but became even more transparent. I even changed the be-tweeter for an AMT.
I think hifi speakers are more for relaxed listening and have more personal colour to them, so when you go to a shop there is likely to be one hifi/high end speaker that has the sound you like. But professionally trained ears want natural sound. They want to precisely hear what they are recording.
The B&W 802 series high-end version has that weird dip that many B&W’s have at 6kHz or so. But their studio versions don’t have that dip. It’s up to you.

1 Like