Suggestion of HQ Player 4 Desktop filter and noise shape/dither settings

Hi:

I am currently using HQ Player 4 Desktop getting fed digital stream music from Roon. I love the sound coming out of it via my Chord Mojo.

However, I would love some suggestion about the filter and NS/Dither settings that works best for Classical music (like the Chopin Concerto No 1, 2 performed by Yundi Li).

Thanks and best regards,
Phong Nguyen.

I don’t know which OS you are running HQPlayer on, so for other settings this is a bit generic.

If possible, stick to 705.6/768k PCM output from HQPlayer - if you don’t end up with random white noise blasts this way.

Use either poly-sinc-ext2 or sinc-S filter for starters, with LNS15 noise shaper.

Hi Jussi:

Yes I have 1 or 2 times the white noise coming out of my Chord Mojo when I set the sampling rate to 705.6/768kHz. It occasionally happens, but rather annoying and I have to turn it off.

Is there a way to fix it for good?

Kind regards,

Phong Nguyen

It would need fixes to the Mojo USB hardware/firmware.

With my Mojo it occasionally happens even when connected to iPhone through the Apple Camera Connection Kit and playing 44.1k from Spotify.

I’ve also noticed that the used USB cable makes fairly big difference how frequently it happens.

Hi Jussi:

I am using windows 10. Does it make the suggestions changed?

Kind regards,

Phong Nguyen.

Hi @jussi_laako : regarding the volume control, for the optimal sound quality, should I set the HQPlayer volume to around -30 to -20dB, then use the volume balls on Mojo to adjust the output volume to my Roksan K3 Power Amp?

Kind regards,
Phong Nguyen.

and due to the white noise happens with my Mojo at 768kHz, now I have to set it to 376kHz. So I guess I should use the more appropriate NS5 dither, instead of the LNS15 which is more for targeting the high sampling rate?

Kind regards,
Phong Nguyen.

LNS15 and NS9 should be fine too.