Suggestions for Internal SSD Requested

Hi
I hope this question is in the right thread.
I want to move my music files from an external ssd attached to the NUC on to an internal 4TB ssd.
What type of ssd would be best?
The NUC specs are below
1.00 Intel NUC11TNHi5 NUC Pro i5-1135G7 11th Gen 4.20 GHz 4 Core
BTTN2130037Q
1.00 8GB DDR4 SODIMM
1.00 8GB DDR4 SODIMM
1.00 256GB Gen 3 NVMe M.2 SSD - Lexar
Thanks for any anticipated replys

2 Likes

As @Suedkiez says the QVO is recommended.

If used in a write intensive application (eg as an OS swap drive) it has a disadvantage compared to other more expensive SSD types - which have a longer write lifetime.

But when used to store media (which involves reading and very little writing), it has no disadvantages - and is less expensive and available in high capacity (up to 8Tb).

1 Like

Any. Ssds are already much faster than needed. In fact a standard hdd is faster than is needed and ssd speeds are really a waste.

Keep in mind

1. Database Backups. How do you do them now? Internal drives cannot be used to backup the database, unlike external drives

2. You cant copy directly from the usb to the internal drive so you will need to copy over the network. Attach usb drive to a pc. Open PC file manager and copy over network to internal storage drive on rock. Also, to be safe, do this while the RoonServer is off

1 Like

Thank you for your replys.
Im looking for min 2T
Is the interface M.2 or NvMe?

The Intel NUC11TNHi5 supports one m.2 NVME drive (which you already have fitted for you OS drive) and one SATA3 2.5 form factor drive. So you would have to use a SATA drive to add internal storage. In addition, there is a height (thickness) restriction in NUC. However, all 2.5inch form factor SSD’s that I have seen are compatible.

The Samsung 870 QVO drives recommended above are a 2.5in form factor SATA drive and will be comptible with your NUC.

As @Rugby suggested above, if you are looking for 2TB or less of internal storage, you might also consider a spinning hard disk (unless the mechanical noise would be an issue) because they offer more than adequate performance and they are a lot cheaper. 4TB HDDs in the 2.5in form factor can be found - but you would have to be careful to make sure that such a drive fits with respect to the height restriction of the NUC case.

Thank you all
My question has been answered and Im gratfull
Cheers

1 Like

Just get the Samsung 870 QVO and call it a day.