Suggestions for replacing Nucleus

You are being ripped off. $600 to repair a loose Ethernet port? Does that seem reasonable to you?

If you think it’s the Ethernet port, try one of these -

3 Likes

@xxx. Thanks. So instead of using the Ethernet port, im using the USB Port? I’m using one for my DAC and the other for a USB thumb drive for backups . Yes the $600 seems too steep.

What have you got to lose, but $13? Temporarily replace your backup device with the USB Ethernet device. Just as a test.

I doubt that a loose Ethernet port is causing your power recycling, but who knows.

Since it seems like any repair work is not under warranty, whatever you do don’t let these $600 crooks work on the Nucleus. If you must, take it to a local repair shop and see what they say. There’s nothing magical about a Nucleus. It’s just another computer.

2 Likes

Do you still have the Nucleus? Willing to buy it for the casework.

Thanks,
Simon

1 Like

@xxx Thank you very much. Yes definitely worth a try!

A few things to check.

1. Have you updated the core to the latest build
  2. I would next try replacing, ssd or ram.
    You can always use this in your next build
  3. Try the external USB ethernet dongle as recommended

Perhaps take to a computer kid wiz

I actually have that exact same TP-Link USB adapter. Not using it much anymore, so I just powered down my NUC (running Roon OS), plugged it in and moved the Ethernet cable over to it.

Roon came right up with no issues…I’m listening now with it connected via the TP-Link, in fact. So, it seems to be supported just fine via the Linux kernel that Roon OS uses. You’ll have no problems using this adapter with your Nucleus.

7 Likes

Roon works great on SonicTransporter by Small Green Computer. I’ve been using one for years.

3 Likes

@grizaudio Yes updated to the latest OS. On the Roon logs they were unable to find the problem. I tried using the Nucleus just for streaming ( disabled the SSD) had the same crashes. Haven’t tried the memory yet. Thank You.

@tbar. Was it difficult installing the Roon software on the SonicTransporter?

I like exaSound products and what I’ve read about the Delta is impressive. Something for me to consider if/when the time comes.

1 Like

It runs Roon out of the box. There is no install required. It’s baked in (of course it does require your license).

1 Like

It is very simple. Roon Server is listed under “available apps” and the user simply clicks the icon in order to activate Roon.

Check their website for videos. You might want to contact them directly if you have questions.

2 Likes

You don’t install it, it’s already on the device. The os allow you start apps from a simple web interface. You have choices to run Roon as one of them.

2 Likes

I would also follow the advice of using a usb network adaptor if the network port is suspect. My RoCk core also had a failed network port and I switched over to one works a charm and no issues with my DAC that’s also attached. It’s cheap and an way way to find out if that really is the issue. Don’t go buying a new server until you rule this out.

3 Likes

@CrystalGipsy Thank You. I only have 2 usb inputs on my Nucleus. How do you back up your database?

Over the network to my Nas.

1 Like

I’ve not tried it, but this will probably work if you need more ports:

My recommendation would be to move Core to another room and use a dedicated endpoint device, but then again, most folks think I’m crazy. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Ok guys let’s calm it down a notch or two please.
Thank you for your cooperation.

5 Likes

Ok not local to me (Chicago area), but if you decide to go that route just PM me.

1 Like