Suggestions for replacing Nucleus

The Innous Mini has only 4GB of RAM, runs an Intel N4200 processor, and does not compress FLAC files when ripping.

Cheaper? No, it is not.

Also, the M1 Mac mini is far more powerful and flexible. It supports much larger music libraries and can run HQPlayer Desktop with ease.

I would rather use dBpoweramp and a rip my own CDs…

@xxx I Don’t have the Max M1 thanks.

You could, but unlike your Nucleus, the Mac will have a fan that could produce noise you find to be objectionable while listening.

I may have a minority view, but I don’t think it makes sense to buy an M1 Mac mini just to run Roon Server (Core). Buy the Mac if you have uses for it beyond Roon.

As a drop-in replacement for Nucleus, the Mac does not provide the same experience. For example, you have to login after a reboot for Roon to be available (generally speaking). You’re responsible for O/S and app updates.

If you don’t have a particular use in mind for the Mac besides Roon, you will be better served by getting your Nucleus going again (USB Ethernet Adapter) or migrating to a ROCK build.

Same sort of thing goes for the sonicTransporter. Buy one if you have a use for the functionality it offers beyond Roon. But know that the experience of operating it is going to be different. It’s not a drop-in replacement.

2 Likes

Thanks @David_Snyder good expectation

This is bad advice.
Under powered, and does not meet Roon minimum specs.

Grab a legacy boot NUC, 8GB & 250GB SSD

Or if you are handy with Linux get the latest NUC gen 11.

1 Like

I bought a used i7 NUC from this fellow, configured similarly, for $125. He sells used equipment and his descriptions are dead on about condition. I could not see the scratches he mentioned on mine. Comes with a legal Windows 10 OS; I installed ROCK on mine and it was very easy. I did ROCK installations on a 2010 era i5 Dell laptop and a 2010 era Gateway i3 before buying. All three installations were simple and problem free. I went with the NUC for form factor. Running ROCK with ethernet connection in and USB out to my DAC. I am glad to help anyone with installations. here is the link: Intel i5 NUC Mini PC Good Condition - computers - by owner -...

3 Likes

Great advice

2 Likes

Then why ask

I’v had the Zen Mini running my huge library for a couple of years now, not had any problems with it at all.

I would try it first and not listen to some of the [moderated] comments on here :grin:

OK, the Mac you are referring to is a MacIntosh HiFi.

Doesn’t matter. People are trying to talk you into an M1 because they have pride of ownership, but judging from your posts and since you don’t already have an Apple computer, that’s probably not a good fit for you.

I’m out. Good luck.

1 Like

Nic1 chris at least im not the only one who thinks the innuos is one way to go :+1:

Not had one problem with mine at all since i got it 2 years ago :sweat_smile:

Glad to hear that because if you do have trouble Roon doesn’t support any Innuos product running Core…

I didn’t ask. I was pointing out the weakness of the Innous Mini. Even Roon recommends against it as not being powerful enough to run Roon. It lacks memory and processing power.

Well iv been running it through my aurelic for the past 2 years iv had no problems…

Thx for all the replays. Not sure how the Zen Mini is better than the Nucleus?

Miss read yr question
Thought you said plug and play all im seeing is building rocks and nucs if you got the time great :grin:

I think innuOS makes some nice endpoint boxes, but I would not use the for Core.

Er…not sure about this. The Sonictransporter is equally as ‘plug and play’ as a Nucleus. You are probably misleading the OP with that comment, unless I have misunderstood your point.
I’ve owned an ST i7 for 5 years (it has since been replaced in the range by the i9 version) and it has been great and low maintenance. Updates to Roon are triggered within Roon as per the norm. I suppose you need to update the Sonicorbiter OS every now and then, but that’s a straightforward process done via the Sonicorbiter web browser page. It’s certainly less hassle than using a Mac Mini as a server, as that’s what I was doing before springing for my STi7.

If I were to change to something else, it’d either be the i9 or an M1 (because anecdotally it can handle the tricky moderators in HQPlayer, which I use in tandem with Roon). But the OP’s needs do sound like they’d be satisfied by the Sonictransporter i5.