Superficial Roon Updates?

I don’t need remote access, but would like access control to settings, I would like admin and user access, so that zone access, max volume and dsp settings can be changed only by me…this to avoid that my children or wife make damage to their ears or my very powerful Meridian DSP8000’s - until I have the access control, use in my home will be limited to me and I need to turn of the system when not here…would be so great if I could define zones for the children in their rooms, but no access to the main system…

Having recently dug into the API to develop an Extension, that’s really where I’d love to see some developer attention in future releases. The API feels like an optimistic and valiant beginning that appears to have just been dropped off the radar now. If Roon Labs were able to shore it up some and expose the rest of the core operations in the API then third party developers would really be empowered to augment the system with all variety of edge-case feature requests and desires that may never be important enough to make it into the main product.

There’s a lot of potential for a thriving ecosystem of extensions – many more than we currently have.

1 Like

Yes, I keep waiting for the big 2.0 bomb to drop. I had a sense they were working on something big but Catalina set them back. Guess not. Seems like it’s done now, and this it. Not that there’s anything terribly wrong with it.

You don’t do the organizing in your car. You do the organizing at home. In your car, you choose a playlist, or a tag, or start Roon radio.

We dont need streaming, cue/iso file support, folder view, different libraries for audiobooks or different users, voice control, a sleeptimer or ways to customise the ui the way we want. It is already the gold standard!

2 Likes

Roon releases 1,7 build 610 continuing to deliver no new value.
Still no ability to use outside your home and no connectivity to Alexa.
My use of Roon has dwindled to a few hours a month.

If you were affected by one of the bugs addressed in the fix, you’d probably see it differently. The Tidal login problem and high MacOS CPU usage have been particularly problematic and difficult to fix.

Improvements and Bug Fixes for Build 610:

• Smoother connection when connecting to the core
  • Improved TIDAL token behavior to prevent unnecessary manual login retries
  • Updates to Android audio support libraries that may improve buffering behavior on some hardware
  • Fixed alert color of notifications when devices are waking up
  • Settings > Storage: Fixed broken network unavailability icon
  • Sharing: Restored missing close quote when sharing lyrics
  • Removed redundant ‘Roon Radio’ option from Composition’s play actions list
  • Updated copy for authorization screen
  • DSP:
    • Turning on Invert Phase for one channel no longer applies it to all channels
    • The “Mix” element in procedural EQ now works against a virtual 7.1 channel layout, enabling a single mix configuration to handle a variety of multichannel formats consistently.
  • Graphics engine:
    • Experimental changes to potentially address high CPU / GPU usage on certain MacOS devices
    • Improvements to reduce GPU load and video memory bandwidth usage.
    • Update images processing libraries
    • Scale factor fixes for android devices with non-default display size settings
    • Changes to potentially address whiteout screen problem on Windows devices using integrated graphics on Intel 3XXX series CPUs
    • Fixed display issues in the signal path with certain display scaling settings
    • Waveform display fixed on certain devices
  • Signal path:
    • Fixed copy for Linn outputs
  • Mobile:
    • Restored Extensions tab to Settings window
1 Like

Those are the two reasons your use of Roon has dwindled?

You must spend a lot of time in your car.
Roon tried to support Alexa. It didn’t work out, so I doubt they’ll be trying again.

Still, I agree with the basic sentiment.
Other than bug fixes the last two releases have been underwhelming.

I’m hoping it’s a case of energy conservation in preparation for the big leap.

3 Likes

Seems there are quite a few who would prefer only “superficial releases” This from just a few days ago.

Whichever way they go some will be unhappy. No doubt If /when the new UI appears or if/when mobile comes there will be many who are unhappy with that.

3 Likes

‘You can’t please all of the people all of the time’…or something like that. There are threads like this with every release. I have no use whatsoever for a sleep timer but I can see it is a benefit to the product and many users. Bug fixes are always welcome and of course they increase stability overall across the many platforms and configurations that Roon runs on.
Roon could split the releases via alternate bug fix and new feature releases, but that would delay fixing bugs.

Disagree. We finally got a sleep timer. For a free update that takes seconds to install, what on Earth is there to complain about ?

If there’s nothing to complain about, trust an audiophile to dream something up.

3 Likes

Speaking of which, anyone complained about the degradation in sound quality yet? Can’t be long now… :grinning:

3 Likes

As they say, if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it

Free? Nothing free about it. I bloody well paid for the subscription.

• for lifetime members
    :kissing_smiling_eyes:

But lifetime members paid too, didn’t they? For the price we paid, the updates aren’t free.

I don’t agree with your assessment of value. If you were experiencing any of the problems this update resolved, maybe you would feel differently. Also, I don’t need mobile access to Roon and hope they never add Alexa connectivity. I don’t think posting your dissatisfaction with every Roon update is going to motivate anyone.

You make a fair point, and I am not seeking to argue. I paid lifetime more than four years ago. I felt that the value of the product as it was then justified the cost, even if it never improved - just my judgement, you understand. Since then, I have gained a number of huge improvements that weren’t even on the horizon back then - Sonos compatibility and an excellent Devialet AIR implementation being two that I use every day, for example. Now a sleep timer, which I have been requesting for years. I have also discovered a ton of excellent new music via the links between Roon and Tidal. Folk who aren’t satisfied are always free to vote with their wallets, but I rate my lifetime purchase as the single most cost-effective HiFi purchase I ever made, and I could not be happier with the product or the way it is supported. YMMV.

7 Likes

We bought lifetime for the product as it existed the day we bought it. As long as it always works, any updates with new or improved features is gravy.

5 Likes