Superficial Roon Updates?

I’m also a bit disappointed, specially after creating posts on what are the TOP 10 features and separate libraries.

I understand they have the control on their product and I totally respect that but honestly I would have expected a bit more of empathy towards feature requests. I’d love to see them voted by the community and have a simili commitment even if is end of 2020 on some very asked feature like Roon mobile or separate librairies.

But well at least Roon is not broken and working well which is what we should be satisfied of.

1 Like

That is just not how product development works. If we all voted for product modifications, Roon would be a total mess. Roon is a for profit business. It is not a collaborative endeavor.

2 Likes

The thing is, it’s all gotta be done…

This is why I get 500GB memory on my iPhone…so I can take a huge part of my collection on the road. It works with my 2018 Tacoma and I can use Siri to pull up a particular song or artist!

EZPZY!

Thank you for explaining to me what Roon business model is. I couldn’t figured it out.

I’m talking about most popular FR so yeah I think a company can listen to their users.

2 Likes

This version seems a lot faster than last two. Connecting to core is way faster to. These are improvements I am more happy to see than additional features. Need to check if some of the other bugs I have reported are fixed in this release or not.

3 Likes

This fixes a very annoying problem with the login of Tidal. Performance upgrades. I don’t mind the sleep timer either.

I’ve given up on roon mobile, but if implemented I’d be overjoyed.

Well my ongoing issue with Android remote getting a black screen if app put in bg seems to be fixed not had it once yet. Early days but heres hoping.

1 Like

Also just spotted this on mobile app is this new or did I miss it before in last update?

Release notes say this.

Mobile:

• Restored Extensions tab to Settings window

I get your perspective, but when I pay a “lifetime” fee, I expect that that means the product will be updated: bugs fixed and features added to keep current with technology advancements and remain competitive in the market. Why would I make that kind of investment in something that won’t be kept current through updates and enhancements? If that were the case, better to subscribe monthly or annually so that, when the product is not kept current, you can change to a more current product.

I’m with you @Gigatoaster. I’ve seen other software development companies solicit and incorporate user feedback in planning their software releases. It may not work for Roon, but seems like a natural thing to do with such a lively and active user community.

1 Like

‘Superficial’ is not the word I would have used. There’s nothing superficial about fixing a bug.

Disappointing’ is the word I would use.

Most of the ‘feature’ requests, i.e. a mobile or cloud based app, better handling of box sets and/or classical music, screen design that either scrolls horizontally or vertically, or any other request/complaints that may come to mind, don’t really effect me. Although I’m sure that are those who still wait for these improvements or fixes, as the case may be.

In these pages, I complained about the way ‘Shuffle’ persists, but I don’t expect that design to change. It’s a philosophical choice, albeit one I don’t understand, on the part of the designers.

My current complaint concerns the trap that is potentially lying in wait for all those who use Roon’s Backup and who expect it to have some integrity, and although the signs are hopeful, it’s too big a task to be done on the spur of the moment

For me, the one big thing I’d like to see is an improved ‘Focus on Similar’.

‘Focus on Similar’ is a hot, steaming mess. It just doesn’t work. Also, the design should be broadened to consider criteria for something being similar other than just genre. A discussion that is off-topic here.

Pretty sure Roon has great things in store, probably in V2.0.
I’m just hoping we don’t have to go through numerous builds, in V1.8 and V1.9, to get there.

3 Likes

The thing is, we will need to if that’s what it takes. Every upgrade is a step on the journey…

All the possible iterations of a version don’t have to be exhausted before the great leap comes.

That’s why shops are usually divided into Maintenance vs. Development. There’s an entire software industry devoted to keeping source changes in sync between the two endeavors…

But we don’t have to argue about that, here.

This update has fixed two bugs for me very happy.

I bought future updates as well.

“To us, a lifetime sale represents a commitment to support a subscriber, including all the future costs associated with that commitment.”

I agree. However, there were no promises what the updates may or may not include or even if there would be updates. To expect Roon to implement a bunch of updates just because someone puts them on a top 10 list is ludicrous IMHO. Roon just issued an update and we all got it. Did they send you a bill? I don’t think so.

Why would they send me a bill? I already paid for the update as Danny’s quote confirms. [Moderated]

My point is that we are getting the updates that Roon promised when we purchased a lifetime subscription.

Again, have a look to the thread (please really do it), you are clearly not getting the point. How’s this for someone, or some “random dude” like you make allusion to. See more than one person: 210 replies, 8.7k views, 125 users. It’s the 30th most view thread in the Feature Request sub-forum, duh!!!