Support for a video library and streaming videos to display devices

Please, no.

So hypertheticaly if ROON remains exactly the same with the addition of Video then what’s the hang up?

3 Likes

Development resources. There are, in my opinion, better things to use them on such as - roon mobile, delivering the promise to make mobile clients fully featured, box set improvements…

3 Likes

Also would need different metadata providers, codec support, for DTS and Dolby formats all starts to add to the cost of the product. Plex cant get Video right half the time and that’s it’s primary format.

DTS and Dolby decoding is done via the AV receiver. Example VLC player, it’s free and simply provides pass through of the Encoded audio data stream via SPDIF or HDMI to AV decoder. So no additional licensing is required.

Additional dev cost is one way of looking at it but on the other hand adding video DTS, Dolby and Blu-Ray support would cover a wider audience which would equate to more subscriptions. Another angle.

My original take on adding Video to ROON really stems from wanting Music Video intergration m, like Tidal Player, as aposed to say PLEX which is more so across the board Movies and TV shows.

I have to agree with Ray that music videos, bluray concerts and the like would be terrific to view through Roon.
I am not a techie but love the quality I hear through my Roon set up, other offerings are not as good in my humble opinion. So why wouldn’t you want the option to view video and enjoy the best of audio reproduction whist doing so.

Those of you that prefer to remain audio only can do so surely.

1 Like

Because opportunity costs and there are so many other things the Roon lads need to enhance that are more concerned with the core vision.

1 Like

I am also in favor for Roon focussing on audio only.
Before I subscribed to Roon, I was using Jriver.
If you look at Jriver’s forum and with every release the list of enhancements, bugs resolving and so on, on video alone, it is clear to me that Roon should avoid going this direction.
It would kill any focussed enhancements and innovation in the audio domain.
And I believe we all agree that an already great product deserves the necessarry attention to make it fantastic.
Dirk

1 Like

I also have a JShiver license. I never use it, partly because of its unwieldiness.

I prefer the relative elegance of the Roon interface.

I use Roon for music and for video, Plex.

The people who complain about the Roon moderators should try out the JShiver forum modded by the CEO. He’s not above idenity theft by creativie editing of user’s posts.

Please stay on audio functionnalities.
I have just given up JRiver (which was at the beginning an excellent audio player), so don’t force me to search for another solution :blush:
Great experience with Roon since Qobuz integration !

There seems to be some content which probably would enhance the (metadata) experience if it would be available within Roon. I’m not sure how many reliable sources besides Tidal actually exist; I wouldn’t think of “unmanaged” youtube content as reliable, for example. Maybe with the next rendering engine this capability will come. If there’s content available worth the effort - I don’t know.

Another interesting thing would be some kind of a “content linker” between Roon and one’s favourite video application of the plex/kodi/ember/atv flavour. So from your movies app via credits / info boxes a quick app switch and an applied focus in Roon would be possible. That I would see as some real plus. Dunno if this would already be possible via the API. Just an idea on how to keep video out of Roon and still connect the worlds a bit better. :wink:

There are definitely some tools missing. :sunglasses:

And an Amazon link :rofl:

I can understand peoples hesitation to support video, but if it can be done in such a way to not in any way affect the experience of those who want pure Audio then I think it would be fantastic.

Myself and my brothers meet weekly for a few beers and listen to all genres of music, each week is different. Although audio quality is myself and one brothers preference, two others would rather also see the image / music videos as its a huge part of the overall experience for them, and I can really understand where they come from.

Wouldn’t it be fantastic to have a way to play the lossless audio, at full quality, with the video to go with it. I can only imagine how difficult this could be for the engineers to ensure the content both matches and is also in sync, not to mention the storage costs. Perhaps streaming video from some providers like YouTube could work (with subscription details added to avoid ads), when its a compatible stream with the lossless audio track being played back by Roon (via whatever subscriptions you have like Tidal). I think both lossless Audio and accompanying Video is really the future, not just Audio.

If Roon doesn’t do it someone else will!

I think what people are forgetting is, although audio quality is something we are all after (myself after subscribing to a Roon lifetime subscription can attest to), the video presentations many artists are giving ARE part of the experience. With a lot of content, I am finding that I would rather have 90% audio quality and 90% video quality compared to 100% audio quality and 0% video quality. Seeing the expression on artists faces as they make their emotions felt, seeing a clenched fist, seeing a tear in an eye. It goes so far beyond having 24bit, 192khz seriously guys. Please reconsider down voting this. We are so lucky to not be just audio beings, but very much visual / vision based and I believe that visual aspect is very much part of the music / performance that all of us should really seek out at its highest quality also like audio, not try to dismiss down to 0% which would be a huge shame.

It can definitely be done in such a way to keep both sides happy, those that do and do not want video content.

1 Like

One of the features I love about Roon is the ability to display lyrics on my TV screen while playing HiDef content from Qobuz etc. using Chromecast. It would be amazing if Roon somehow integrated with a service like Yahoo or Vimeo to permit you to switch over to watch any music videos associated with a track. I realize one can do this with various Chromecast and Youtube apps etc… but having this integrated in Roon would be killer.

1 Like

Wondering if anything is being tossed around to have a version of Roon (or integrated into Roon) which also organizes and serves up movie libraries (DVD, BluRay).

Hi @Fritz_Limner,
Yes, and I’ve merged your post into this existing topic which will also consolidate your vote.

1 Like

Thank you, Carl. I typed it in but no others showed up. That is why I simply created a new thread.

Cheers.

As I tested out Plex, AppleTV Library streaming, these apps lack so much, there is no comprehensive Media Streaming Service out there. Imagine Roon would be able to handle your personal film collection, and would be able to stream it seamlessly to AppleTV or Chromecast devices with a Roon App on Apple TV. This would be fantastic and opens up a whole new world. Even with the feature to add your personal Netflix Account, acutally aggregating your streaming services with your local libraries. Doing the same as with Audio just with Video.

1 Like