Support for new iPad Magic Keyboard? [Released – Build 943]

Also, why do keyboard shortcuts not work with the magic keyboard? Simple things like spacebar for play/pause should surely work?

1 Like

Thank you AllenB for that Workaround (click&hold) it is better than touching the screen each time I want to scroll. But still can‘t understand why such a simple thing isn‘t working out of the box. Don‘t know any other app that is not supporting the scrolling gestures.

1 Like

It’s because of the custom GUI Roon uses. You’d need to hook up all the native functionality manually. I hope Roon decided to rework the mobile apps to use the respective native platform and APIs but I’m doubtful this would ship in the next update or anytime soon.

+1 for iPad magic keyboard support.

1 Like

To my utter disappointment, Roon 1.8 still doesn’t support touchpad gestures or keyboard shortcuts on iPads with Magic Keyboard.

2 Likes

Be disappointed but don’t be surprised. Roon’s iOS apps aren’t native UIKit, they use Xamarin which is a half ass cross platform development API.

So we get non-native apps on every device (Win/Mac/Android/iOS) which don’t support the things that make each OS special. On iOS that means no keyboard or mouse support, no swiping gestures for navigation, no Lock Screen controls, an app that gets background killed because it’s a RAM hog (since it’s non-native it has to load a bunch of extra crap so that it can fake act like a faux iOS app), is more buggy than a real iOS app would be, and doesn’t follow many of the standard conventions of how iOS apps operate.

Apparently Roon pulls in over a million dollars a month but can’t find the resources to develop a real iOS app… hell I’m sure if they asked users for a one time charge of $5 to go towards developing a real iOS app everyone would gladly chip in. It’s bewildering that the craptastic Roon iPad/iPhone app is acceptable to them. It’s embarrassing.

12 Likes

Hate to say it but I agree with every word you’ve written.

1 Like

My mother used to have an expression “you will want want portholes in your coffin”! I use my iPad Pro with magic keyboard as my main way of controlling Roon. It works very well. One of the joys of iPad Pro is that it is so overspecced - which means that would be annoying in a less powerful machine (such as the Roon app actually reloading) occurs so quickly that it is scarcely noticeable.

In the end the main purpose of Roon is about music discovery - within an acceptable user experience - and that is where all of those millions of dollars are spent as 1.8 clearly demonstrates.

I am sure some people might notice the lack of the metaphorical portholes - but most of us don’t.

You don’t find it annoying that you can’t use the two-finger swipe-to-scroll gesture which works everywhere else in iPadOS with Roon?

2 Likes

Yes me too :scream: Given that the Magic Trackpad works perfectly with Roon on an iMac, why is this missing for the Magic Keyboard / iPad Pro. Yes different OS but it’s all Apple :scream:

1 Like

As much as I love Roon, the lack of magic keyboard support is super annoying, especially that version 1.8 still doesn’t support it. Dear Roon makers: Pretty pleeaaassse make this happen.

3 Likes

Amen to that!

Cross-platform SDKs are great for developers but crap for users. I’d tolerate them in a $2.49 app, not with an expensive piece of software like Roon.

1 Like

I created another post related to this but I guess this is the proper one.

I recently bought an iPad Air which I use with Logitech’s Folio Touch cover which features a keyboard and trackpad. Roon is the only iOS/iPadOS app I use that does not allow scrolling with it, it’s a bit maddening. It would be really nice if gets updated with trackpad/mouse support and a few keyboard shortcuts thrown in as well. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

All we are asking for are swiping, scrolling, gestures and navigation (including keyboard shortcuts) on the Magic Keyboard. The rudimentary ‘click & hold’ is beginning to drive me crazy, especially now that vertical scrolling has been implemented in Roon, which involves repeated click & holds just to get down the page.

The Apple iPad OS (trackpad on Magic Keyboard) allows for this in mostly every app I use on my iPad Pro … except Roon. This seems to be down to Roon forgetting, rather than an impossibility.

I fear with the not insubstantial issues around the 1.8 release, this feature will continue to be forgotten.

2 Likes

Just to add to this debacle, Roon doesn’t even recognise keyboard presses (on the Magic Keyboard). So narrowing down in, say, Artists or Albums is not possible :rage: And we seem to have lost the alphabet index that popped up in those sections (subject of another topic) which means interminable click & hold scrolling. Nice one Roon :scream:

1 Like

+1 here, makes my experience on iPad worse than in other apps.

Can we have the ability to scroll through Roon playlists using the trackpad of the Magic Keyboard of the IPad Pro? I can scroll through Tidal / Qobuz app playlists using that but not while using the Roon app.

2 Likes

I just got my magic keyboard for iPad as well and realize it’s lacking this function :frowning:
Please make it happen.

I have had a magic keyboard ever since they were first released and use my iPad Pro for Roon. Magic keyboard functionality would be a nice to have - not a major issue for me!

2 Likes

Scrolling works on TIDAL and once you switch to Roon its like you landing on wheel chair.
Just also want to mention that shortcuts don’t work on Roon/ IPadPro Magic kayboard.
Roon take all magic from this kayboard.

2 Likes