Support gone for Fiio x7 mkII?

May need to wait for the APK to be updated on one of the download sites. I wonder if Roon has their APK updated yet even? I’ll give it a try on one of my DAPs.

http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/RoonMobile.apk

Thanks. I tried that just before posting here though. Roon just crashes now.

Looks like it’s asking fiio for an update. An owner of another device updated the opengl on their own but I’ve no idea on how to do that.

Yeah. I’m trying to figure out how to do that. Still interested in understanding why an OpenGL version matters in what one would think is just API calls that pass data between a remote and core.

Its not just for it to act as a remote is also part of the audio upgrade they just did for the Android app to make it more stable so its now a minimum requirement for the device to be running that version of Open GL ES.

Thanks for taking the trouble to dig that up. What am I missing though? The 1.6 interface works fine on the version of OpenGL I have. All I’m doing is connecting to the remote core, (which doesn’t even have a GUI), so at that point it’s just data that’s being transferred between them. The GUI rendering engine shouldn’t matter.

So you’re saying they’re using OpenGL to process the audio?

But it does if its effecting the audio performance, which it clearly was or they would not have upped it for the fun of it,

Though that still shouldn’t matter. Why will it not let 1.6 transfer data from a core 1.7? That’s the issue here.

I am thinking this is more of a display issue. Mine starts but can not display anything. just a blank screen that goes into the background. (I’m running android 6.0)

But I am totally guessing here…

The rest of the updates to Roons engine. The app needs to update to make use of those.

I had that on the old 1.6 version every now and then. But this version I have found to have display issues on my Phone which is on Android 9 and my Tablet which is still on 7.

1 Like

UI changes in Roon 1.7 lead to the higher requirement for OpenGL. Behind the scenes changes on DB format, added new functionality etc. lead to incompatible changes in what you call API. So a Roon Core 1.7 does no longer speak the same language as a potential Roon Remote 1.6 that tries to connect to it.

I’m probably just not understanding how the remote works with the core. The core is 1.7 and works fine. I assumed it was doing all the audio processing since I can set music playing on it and quit any remote I used to start it and the music keeps going. That led me to assume the remote was just an interface to show the album info and send commands via APIs.

I’m just a web dev so I’m not familiar with iOS and Android paradigms. In the web world the processing engine wouldn’t care what graphics engine the remote is using as it’s just passing data and commands.

Anyhow, thanks for the assistance.

I see. To me that’s a serious failure on Roon’s part for not considering backwards compatibility in a .1 release. Certainly for not pushing a warning to the user. I’m not sure any software company I’ve worked at has broken compatibility in a dot release.

Android app has always had the ability to be used as an audio endpoint as well as a remote, as are the iOs apps. This was however was severely compromised by glitches and dropouts when Roon was in the background. So this release has seen a complete rebuild of the Android App to address this long standing issue. As a result of this rebuild they have moved to a higher version of the Open GL ES I imagine as it helped, but it might also be to do with other optimisations for Android in general.

Fair enough. Typically such big rewrites are not released in a dot release but it is what it is. I’ll keep seeing if I can side load an update before considering a new DAP. I’ve been looking for an excuse anyhow. :slight_smile:

There are no universally agreed upon rules about the use of release numbers and what they may inflict. Like with many other subscription based software, subscribed users get updates for free and old version are no longer supported.