Supported Tag Frames

Unfortunately, Roon ignores most of the tag frames while importing tags from metadata. Is there a documentation of tag frames being supported by Roon? I found out, by chance, that Roon accepts “STYLE” as a genre tag while other tag frames are ignored (such as “PERIOD” or, in a different context, “LYRICS”).
Before I start re-tagging my whole music collection (though foobar will do this job pretty quick), a clue would be very helpful!

1 Like

The Knowledge Base has info: https://kb.roonlabs.com/File_Tag_Best_Practice

Also, this thread has useful information:

Yes, thank you, I had read all that, but what I’m looking for is a documentation (list) of tags beeing supported. I’ve learned that some are (“ENSEMBLE”, “CONDUCTOR”), many others not (“ORCHESTRA”, “PERIOD”, LYRICS" etc). As for the GENRE tag, STYLE is one alternative. Are there other tag frames that are imported as GENRE tags?

1 Like

Addition: Meanwhile, I found out that Roon should (!) support at least the following tag Frames (according to Roon’s own knowledgebase documentation as to “tag delimiters”):

COMPOSER, TCOM, ARTIST, PERFORMER, TPE1, TPE2, TPE3, ALBUM ARTIST, ALBUMARTIST,
ALBUM_PERFORMER, SOLOIST, SOLOISTS, LYRICIST, VOCALS, VOCALIST, REMIXED BY, REMIXER,
MIXARTIST, DJMIXER, MIXER, ARRANGER, ENSEMBLE, ENGINEER, AUTHOR, IWRI, WRITER, CONDUCTOR,
ALBUM_ARTIST, PRODUCER, IPRO, FEATURING, TPUB, ORGANIZATION, LABEL

GENRE STYLE GENRES STYLES

In fact, these tag frames are not being properly recognized (coming from fb2k with a proper & clean tag structure, each tag value being separated by a “;”). Roon seems to randomly import only some of the tags from these metadata fields. This Feature seems to be still very buggy which is a real pity regarding the poor structure of the tags provided by Roon for classical music.

1 Like

Have you told Roon to prefer your file metadata over its online metadata during the import process? If not, this might account for why it randomly seems to import only some of the tags. If it thinks its own metadata is more accurate, then it will use this.

@joel - would you care to comment on these observations by @Mycoft_Holmes ? I get the feeling that the whole process and best practice around dealing with file metadata still needs better documentation…

Of course I have (in general settings)! Besides that, I have also forced Roon to re-analyze single albums hoping the tags would then be imported properly. This has only led to importing some tags - sometimes …

BTW: Importing Album & Main Artist names from files works fine!