Thanks a lot @Joel for your detailed reply. I’m not yet sure whether I like all the implications, but I’ll give my best
Instead of trying to work back from the display by asking how to populate data in a given place, I suggest coming at it from the other direction. Try to tag the files as accurately, specifically, and completely as possible, and work out how far you need to go to get results that communicate the needed information. This may require a different mindset than other software, which treats tags more literally.
I will certainly try, but I guess I needed some guidance. If I understand you correctly, I should use the following tags for classical:
SOLOIST, ENSEMBLE, CONDUCTOR, COMPOSER, WORK, PART, PERSONNEL
getting rid of ARTIST is ok for me, since I do not use it in my current setup anyway. It’s just not yet emptied.
I will test the credit tagging again. I had tried to set the PERSONNEL tag for a couple of separate tags of an album and they did not show up on the credits. Will try to reproduce and report.
What I’m still confused about is the behaviour on identified albums. Can it be inflluenced by tags, too? I’d like it to be consistent.
(1) Album not identified - tags maintained as per your recommendation.
Looks good to me - I see the SOLOIST tag, the ENSEMBLE and the CONDUCTOR, together with the WORK and the PART
(2) Album identified - tags maintained as per your recommendation
I have maintained Krystian Zimerman as the SOLOIST but he does not show up as “perfomed by” like in example 1
(3) Album identified - tags maintained as per your recommendation
Now here I am seeing the composer for the first time as “Composed by”. Composer is maintained for all three examples in the composer tag. So my guess would be that the 3rd party metadata only provides the composer tag in a certain way in example 3 and not in example 2. The composer is displayed in the credit section for both examples.
Apologies for being nit-picky, but these kinds of inconsistencies drive me nuts . I do understand your struggle to combine various metadata sources and musical sytles into one consistent model. But I find it frustrating if I maintain a composer but it only shows on the album page if the 3rd party metadata provides it in the proper way.
My feeling is, that I would need to have all of my albums “unidentified” in order ot have consistent behaviour. And this would then rob me of other valuable additional data, like reviews and recording information (which I most often already have in tags, but can’t map to Roon.
Maybe you could consider some of my thoughts when going ahaead with development. But maybe others have a different opionion on this.
Thanks a lot