Switch to Dark theme based on Windows settings / time of day?

Hopefully MS will catch up with the rest of the world one day, and have an option to have Windows 10 dark theme enable at sunset. It would be great if Roon set its light/dark theme based on whatever is set in Windows.

Light theme for the day and Dark theme for night aren’t just nice to have, pretty aesthetics. They genuinely make a difference to eye strain if/when used effectively. Like many, I work from home, and for extended hours. Not having to manually adjust such settings is a huge win.

2 Likes

+1 for this. Working from home every day I’m on Roon on Mac a lot and it’s one of the few apps that doesn’t do auto dark/light mode. Same on iPad. I’d love it to auto switch.

1 Like

I like mine (Roon) in dark mode all the time never mind the time of day. Adding multiple options can cause confusion issues as more and more options complicate the user interface too.

2 Likes

[Moderated]

Finally, regardless of what you like (using the dark theme all the time), there is a reason all these app and OS developers are baking in options to change themes based on the time of day: a significant amount of research has demonstrated that dark themes in brighter lit conditions can cause eye strain in the same way a light theme in a dimly lit environment can.

[Moderated]I

[Moderated]

These sorts of darkness modes is a common feature, and would be hugely health beneficial for peoples eyes. Regardless of what you like, these are such widely regarded facts that entire operating systems now have this function.

I like the idea of theme settings following the operating system default - it could get switched off optionally so one-themers would be happy, too.

As it is, the app cannot switch its theme without a restart which may be a road block for auto-switching.

1 Like

Yeah. If this were to get some serious consideration from the devs, (and I know this is not going to enhance people’s audio experience in any way so its unlikely to ever be a priority), then it would be best suited to a major update to Roon and baked into a UI overhaul.

Moderators have edited some posts to remove statements about other posters. Please keep comments about the feature being requested.

3 Likes

One of those was at me and probably with respect to the options clutter, of which my comment was based on roon’s own comments over the years about having too many options is not what they want to be adding.

And by options I mean switches in the settings area, not features as such.

2 Likes