Switching Core PC & Clarification on How Remotes Work [Remote Connection]

Hi David,

Trial mode is not crippled in any way.

If you don’t care about retaining your existing database, then the simplest thing to do is:

• completely uninstall Roon on the laptop and the HTPC;
  • reboot the HTPC and install Roon as Core;
  • configure the HTPC to accept Remote connections in Settings
  • reboot the laptop and install Roon as a Remote
  • enter the IP address for the HTPC into the iPad app

If you do want to retain your existing database then:

• backup your existing laptop database (C:\Users[Account Name]\App Data\Local\Roon\Database)
  • completely uninstall Roon on laptop and HTPC;
  • reboot the HTPC and install Roon as Core;
  • copy the backup of your laptop database over the HTPC database;
  • configure the HTPC to accept Remote connections in Settings;
  • reboot the laptop and install Roon as a Remote
  • enter the IP address for the HTPC into the iPad app

So far as I am aware you will not be automatically billed for two licences at the end of your trial period. @mike may be able to clarify.

In my experience the Roon team quickly sort out any issues arising from automatic billing relating to even one licence and I would expect them to be equally responsive where two are concerned. If you have any concerns at all about billing then a quick email or message to @mike or @danny will get it sorted.

Settings/General/Library shows which machine is Core.

There is a FAQ on the main Roon Labs page and in the Support section of this forum. One way to find out what the various terms mean is to enter them into the search engine and browse the posts, but this is my attempt at a glossary:

Core - A Roon installation that is not a Remote. You can only have one Core per licence but you can have unlimited Remotes. The machine on which the Core is installed does all the audio processing in Roon. All Remotes configure the Core.

Remote - A Roon installation that controls and configures a Core. The Remote will only form part of the audio path if output is directed to a Private Zone on the Remote.

Endpoint - A device to which Roon can send audio. These are configured as Zones.

Currently you can send output to the following Endpoints:

• any device connected to the Core that is recognised by the Core operating system, controlled from the Core or any Remote;
  • any device recognised as a Network Zone (currently only Airplay and Meridian supported), controlled from the Core or any Remote. This will be expanded when RoonSpeakers arrives;
  • any device connected to a Remote and recognised as a Private Zone by the Remote operating system, controlled only from the connected Remote. This will be expanded to enable control from the Core and other Remotes when RoonSpeakers arrives.

These posts contain most of the publicly available information about RoonSpeakers and Private Zones:

Hope that helps !

Andybob

1 Like