Switching from Asio to Wasapi in non exclusive mode doesn't work when sample rate has to change

Okay, so I have done more testing.
Important : the Wasapi driver is NON exclusive mode (checkbox is off) as I need Roon to work along with youtube.

This is a list of commands I did in this exact order and what exactly happens in Roon :

1. Windows sample rate is set to 96k (*)
  • playing a 96k in Wasapi : works : dac shows 96k
  • playing a 44.1k in Wasapi : works : dac shows 96k
  • playing a 192k in Wasapi : works : dac shows 96k

So here I can play any sample rate file, windows will remix it to 96k and it will play (this if fine)

1. So windows sample rate is still set to 96k
  • Playing a 44.1k in ASIO : works perfect : dac shows 44.1k (as Asio = exclusive)
  • Playing the 44.1k in Wasapi : initializing driver failed - no sound (44.1k <> 96k)
    As you could see in 1. the 44.1k played there perfectly (it was converted to 96k by windows), but here (after ASIO was used) it fails !
  • Set Windows sample rate to 44.1k manually (**)
  • Press play again, now Wasapi works and the 44.1k file is playing (44.1k = 44.1k (**))
  1. So now windows Sample rate is set to 44.1k (**)
  • Playing a 96k in ASIO : works perfect : dac shows 96k
  • Playing the 96 k in Wasapi : initializing driver fails (96k <> 44.1k (**) ) Same issue as in 2.
  • Set Windows sample rate to 96k manually (***)
  • Press play again, now Wasapi worsk and the 96k file is playing (96k = 96k (***))

So Wasapi works fine, until Asio has been used.
When switching (Roon transfer) from Asio to Wasapi, apparently Asio is still in control, so Wasapi fails when the target sample rate is different then the sample rate of the last track played in Asio.

I’m also trialing Audirvana now, and there I can switch from Asio to Wasapi non exclusive without these issues. Same with foobar (Asio vs Wasapi shared). All fine there. So yes I think it’s a bug in Roon.
(I’m a developer myself btw)

I’'ve been trialing Roon for 5 days now, as I’m considering to buy Roon lifetime before prices go up.
But if this problem is not solved by the end of my trial period, I think I will say Roon goodbye for good and go for a subscription to Audirvana Studio. Sorry but I can’t pay that much money when switching from Asio to Wasapi is still buggy. Roon looks promising, but this is a deal breaker. Hope you understand.