Synology DS218 NAS install issue? [Answered - CPU is not supported]

Hello,

Im trying to set up the Roon Core on my Synology NAS but can’t?

My Synology NAS is the DS218 (2 x 8 TB HDs)

I am currently on DSM version 6.2-23739

When i try to manually install the “RoonServer_Synology_x86_64_2018-03-07.spk” it gives me the message “this package is not supported on the platform of DiskStation or is incompatible with the current DSM version"

Where do i go from here?

Thanks

Ed

@crieke Chris might be the best one to answer this.
I’m running on the same DSM version and its ok.

Did you create the RoonServer share first?

The DS218 is a non-Intel NAS (it uses a Realtek chip of sorts). Roon Server runs on Intel only, so the package notification is correct: the package is not supported on the platform.

You’ll need an DS218+ (or other model with Intel CPU) to run Roon Server.

Hello,

Im also trying to set up the Roon Core on my Synology NAS but I can’t?

My Synology NAS is the DS214Play (2 x 6 TB HDs) with CPU INTEL Atom CE5335

I am currently on DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6

When i try to manually install the “RoonServer_Synology_x86_64_2018-03-07.spk” it gives me the message “this package is not supported on the platform of DiskStation or is incompatible with the current DSM version"

Where do i go from here?

The atom cpu is not supported as I recall…you need a Synology with the + option

The Atom cpu is supported if it is a 64-bit model (and the Synology OS is also 64-bit). This is unfortunately not the case for the DS218play.

This website has a very nice overview of the used cpu and architectures of all diskstation models:

Synology-wiki

The spk will install on every diskstation, that is listed in the x86-64 column.

Thank you so much for your quick answer Christopher, you saved me a lot of research.
I may need to buy a new NAS. In your opinion, what is the actually the best Synology 2 bay option for playing HD music including DSD? Any recommendation?

Thanks again,

Thank you Wizardofoz.
Regards

Perhaps I should have said That Atom cpu is not supported :slight_smile:

So what are a few of the better options for NAS that can easily handle roon?

I can confirm Roon is running fine on a Synology DS218+ with two mirrored SSD’s. I’ve upgraded my DS218+ to 8Gb which is far more than enough (is possible by dissasemble the mainboard to replace the memory module. Music library is on another Synology DS218+ using two mirrored 4Tb harddisks. CPU is sometimes peaking at 70-75% when intensive Roon usage, memory usage is below 35%. I use this DS218+ dedicated for Roon, no other services are installed.