Synology DSM 7 and third party apps

@crieke,
Have you seen this document for DSM 7 package developers? It seems to me that your Synology Roon package probably will not work under the new DSM 7 which will be released somewhere next year.

hi @Alfred_van_Hoorn,
thank you for the info. Yes, I have seen this document before and have already build a spk in accordance with the documentation.

1 Like

Hi @Crieke,

You’re welcome. Good to hear you have noticed that packages for DSM 7 needs a special treatment. I hope that we can continue to use your great package in the future.

I have a few questions about your testing package (date 24-06-2020). Is this a stable version? Has this his version benefits above the current version (date 7-3-2018) which is installed on my NAS. Do you advise a reinstall with the testing version?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

The reason for the beta tag in the 2020-06-24 is a diferent handling for Roon’s database on usb devices. Instead of pointing Roon Server to the path of the USB drive, there is a double mounting in the beta: first a tiny non-writable empty filesystem is mounted, on top of that the path of the usb drive is bind-mounted on top of that filesystem.
If (for whatever reason) the usb disk is unmounted, Roon won’t be able to write to that path anymore, due to the non-writable filesystem.
It was a test and it seems so far to work well. As a side effect, some users reported of less issues, when rebooting the Diskstation and Roon Server did not automatically start then. According to reports, this won’t happen as often as with the regular spk.

The beta includes also other small improvements: More details in the instructions during installation, more accurate error messages, some more log info.

With the DSM7 preview, I am currently wondering if I should try wait for more details and implement them before moving from beta to the stable spk and I am also looking at a web ui (as it is already available for QNAP and Asustor) for the Synology again.

So I have currently no indication of issues with version 2020-06-24.

1 Like

Thanks for your clarification. I am happy with it. I am also glad that you are busy with the furtuer development of the Roon package!!

Based on your reply I conclude that in my situation it is not necessary to reinstall the package with the test-version. I do not use an USB drive and extra error messages are not needed because your package works flawlessness. :grinning: :+1: Thanks for that.

I am enrolled in the DSM 7 preview and was thinking about updating. Are you running DSM 7 with the Roon Beta? Thanks!

Currently Roon Server won’t install/run on DSM 7 and there is no developer documentation available yet.

1 Like

Ok, I will stay on current release. Thank you!

Hi @crieke,

In this blog I found the Synology Developer Guide for DSM 7 Beta. The link to this document can also be found on this page from official Synology website.

Probably you already noticed this document yourself.

1 Like

I was going to post a new thread about seemingly lack of support for Synology Roon Server. I decided to jump on the Roon wagon (yearly sub) after a trial period last year and noted yesterday the current Syn version is still 2018. Yet there’s been numerous builds for QNap.

I am glad to to have found this thread and see that Chris is working on a new version. Thank you, @crieke !

The current version is 2 years out of date?

The current installer for Synology is still from July 2018.
There is a simple explanation for it: There was no need for a change… :slight_smile:

Thats reassuring as I am literally about to go the Synology nas route.

When new features are released by roon will I still get them day like everyone else?

Thanks

Ugh… I have a Synology DS1520+ running DSM7 and I just got a Nuleus+ and they can’t see each other and I did not do the “Due diligence” thing… I have 14 TB of music sitting all alone with no ROON to caress it… (someday) I’ll keep checking for the solution

That’s odd. So DSM7 has dropped support of smb shares? If so, what purpose does it serve?