Synology NAS for Roon

@crieke

Apologies for resurrecting this post. I have a separate thread running in the community regarding Airplay 2. In the replies it was noted by support that there is a Nov 2018 build of Roon server. When I installed the package on my DS912+ in Dec 2018 the installed version was dated March (or July depending upon what the date format is!)

So looking at your Feb 2017 comment the installation file should have installed the Nov build, if I understand correctly. Any help updating my roon server to build 363 would be appreciated.

Hi @Nick_Biden,
the SPKs for Synology will always Install the current Version of RoonServer. The version, which is given in the package center is related to the Installation routine (and all scripts), that is required to make it run on the Synology. You can always check which Roon Server is running on your system, by opening the settings and click the ā€œAboutā€ text on the upper right corner of the screen on one of your Roon remotes.

Hi @crieke

I have, as you suggested, checked and (no surprise really) found that I am running build 363. So whilst that answers my query on this thread it means that my original thread remains unsolved. Iā€™ll tag you in it, if thatā€™s OK?

Thanks for clearing up the version question.

Also interested to know how people get on with this as in the market for a new NAS.

Been using a Synology 1618+ without too much issues. Initially was running a few simple VMs, but had to remove virtual station because of the conflicting issue with some NIC setting (forgot what itā€™s called now). I may look into building a separate system to run Roon in the future, but Iā€™m content.

This is my spec, as roon core, hosting over 400 torrents, cloud sync, file sharing to 4kmovie player, iMac, a lot of shits, never been a problem.

synology ds918+ with 8G RAM
seagate ironwolf 6T (7200rpm) x 4 shr
western digital black 256SSD x 2 as cache

Synology DS918+ vs. Mac Mini Late 2012 Server, Quad Core

Iā€™m using alternately a Synology DS918+ as Roon core and a Mac Mini i7 quad core. The configs are:

• DS918+ with 12 GB Ram, 4 spinning WD Red drives - no ssd cache, roon core on the common BtrFS volume.
  • Mac Mini 16 GB Ram, Mac OS is on a 512 GB SSD

The CPUs:

• Synology DS 918+ Intel Celeron J3455 - GeekBench Single Core around:1405 (Multi Core 4784)
  • Mac Mini: 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 Quad. GeekBench: 3254 | (Multi Core 10739)

Library files are stored on both the synology and the mac mini usb drive in sync, so each core accesses files locally. Iā€™m not sure how this affects performance, it works as a backup for me.

Observations:

• Synology handles my 27000 tracks, mostly local, some tidal, pretty well, never feels slow or sluggish. Also importing files was pretty quick with the entire library being processed in less than 2 hours.
  • Mac Mini however feels faster when accessing, retrieval of files and metadata is much faster. Even Play / Pause is faster.

While the Synology is adequate for all basic playback of from MP3 to DSD 128, it falls apart when using DSD & DSP. Any DSD conversion above DSD64 is a no-go, sometimes even 64 falls below 1x speed and Roon eventually skips over the tracks. Also one DSP function with DSD files or multiple withy any other resolutions will start skipping.

I noticed that ROON Core doesnā€™t use multiple cores for sound processing so even though the system overall might report 25% CPU load, thatā€™s actually one core maxed out and thus Roon starts to skip. It seems that single core speed is most important for Roon. Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong with this.

Iā€™m also using Ropieee as a controller and screen and Extensions sometimes seem to create problems with Roon, and either Extenstion or Roon Server needs to be restarted. This is a much bigger pain on the NAS than on the mac mini where this is very quick.

Sound-wise I did not notice any difference between these two, neither sending the audio to my main Network Player, nor plugging a DAC directly into the USB of either Synology or the Mac.

Conclusion:
Synology DS918+ is adequate but not ideal. Good single core processing power improves overall performance and stability. Havenā€™t tried ROCKā€¦ yetā€¦

4 Likes

@RBM maybe this last post could be moved to its own thread? And titled appropriately.

After seeing how long the post got, was thinking the same, not sure if i can move it Iā€™m rather new in the community (I can create a new threadā€¦). Thanks for your suggestion!

Rene can move it. Or another mod :sunglasses:

Well thought out post and on the money :grin:

1 Like

Hello Virtuoso,
I would like to make my NAS as the Core of my ROON System. (cause of that very Power hungry PC)

I am new in the Roon business. I already upgraded my DS218+ to 8GB RAM. As I understand, I need to get an external SSD and it needs to be empty, speak no other stuff memorized to it.
Now my question. How many GB`s do I need there. Would a 32GB SSD be big enough?
Thanks for your reply
Greetings, Roger

QNAP support roon very well https://www.qnap.com/solution/roon/en-uk/

Very much depends on the size of your collection (both streamed favourites and your files combined). Roon recommend 64gb. But a very small collection will fit on 32gb.

1 Like

Thank`s a lot for your answer. It helped.:slightly_smiling_face:

The SSD is just for the Roon database, so it doesnā€™t need to be large. 32GB should be fine. My collection is around 20,000 tracks (locally stored) and the database is only about 3GB.

The advantage of having the database on an SSD is that it makes the Roon app more responsive.

I have recently moved over to a NUC running ROCK, because I have a few multichannel DSD albums, so I needed the extra horsepower to be able to stream them properly.

1 Like

Great, thanks for your reply.

I did not notice any speed improvements connecting an external SSD for library. Tested with DS713+.

Dear Virtuoso,

Okay, I put an SSD (250GB) on my USB-Port of my NAS and installed the RoonServer-Software onto it. But now, I am a bit confused of what I`m supposed to do next.

Could you give me a hint?

Greetings, Roger

Using the Synology web interface, you install the Roon Server app on the main Synology NAS drive and then create a share on the SSD which Roon uses for its database.

Just follow the instructions here (make sure you do everything in the correct order):-

Hi Roger,
if you want to use a USB storage option, Iā€™d recommend initialising it first in the Synology DSM with a ext4 filesystem. (Control Panel -> External Devices: Select your USB Storage and select format on the top bar). This process will delete everything on that disk!

USB devices will automatically be listed in the shared folder list as usbshareX. To use it as a storage for Roon Serverā€™s database, you need to rename it to ā€œRoonServerā€. This can be done by selecting the usbshareX entry in the list and click the ā€œEditā€-button.

Afterwards you just need to install the spk in the Package Center (if not already done before).